What is the best 2M mobile antenna?

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by W5XXL, Nov 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: FBNews-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The Larsen dual band whips are excellent and of course mounting is 3x more critical for them. Use a through-hole NMO mount in the roof and you can't go wrong. Any other installation is a variable and won't be as good.

2. W5XXL

W5XXL Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow guys, yall really came through for me with TONS of good information. I`m a new ham and learning as I go (Got my Tech on 09/04/2010 and my General on 10/6/2010)... My dad has been a ham since 1965, he is an original WA5 call, he got his ticket at age 12, he didn't get me interested until age 27. He told me this about a month ago "If you ever want more information than you ever thought existed on a topic, just ask a ham. Most of them are very eager to share their years of knowledge with the newbys." And you guys proved EVERY LAST WORD of that! I think after reading everything I`m going to do this: My dad has a garage full of old antennas. I asked him tonight if he had any Larsen NMO150 antennas and of course he replied "About 3 or 4 of 'em, and most of them are older than you, boy" so I`m going to do a distance test with one of those versus the antenna I have now. With the antenna I have now "Swap meet 5/8 wave NMO trunk lip mount special" I can get about 40 miles (as the crow flies, per my GPS) away from his base. I am going to conduct the same test first using my current antenna and then one of his Larsen 150NMO antennas in its place and see if it performs better. I also like the CGT-144 Hustler since it comes with the trunk lip mount.

I would really like to have a roof top NMO mount but I can't bring myself to drill holes in the top of my Ford Five-Hundred, so I guess I`m stuck either using roof-top mag-mounts or the trunk lip mount like I have in place now. My rig is a Icom Ic-V8000. I chose this rig due to its 75 watts of output power.

Thanks again for all of the info!
    Wesley
    KF5IKO

3. WA4OTD

WA4OTD Ham Member QRZ Page

The NMO is only ~$30 on ebay and mount is another $13. Really inexpensive solution. I'll be looking for it at the next ham fest.

Mag mounts really do not perform well. They are good as temporary antenna solutions when you don't need the best performance.

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Neither do trunk-lip mounts. They're for rental cars and stuff.

I'd never use one on a permanent basis, if I wanted "performance." They put the whip too low on the vehicle and provide an inadequate ground plane. Not to mention after a period of time so mounted, they tend to leave a permanent mark.

The through-hole is more secure, higher performance, not as noticeable, and doesn't damage paint.:)

5. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

A viable alternative, although not exactly as efficient as mounting the antenna in the center of the roof, is the "L" bracket. These are Larsen Part Number TMB34 and are pictured on page 12 of the following link:

http://www.larsen-antennas.com/docfiles/ASB10/Mounts.pdf

These are permanent mounts but do not require a large hole. Instead, 3 sheet metal screws secure the mount to the trunk lip. When removed, the 3 small holes are filled with silicon rubber (etc.) and, since the holes are on the vertical surface of the trunk lip, not readily visible. These brackets allow an excellent connection to the body of the vehicle.

I have used these "L" brackets for years with 2 antennas, one on each side of the trunk (2-meter NMO-150 and 10-meter NMO-27). The performance of the antennas are excellent.

In public safety applications, where large "vizbars" are installed in the center of the automobile roofs, using "L" brackets on the trunk of the vehicle often actually allows more efficient radiation than if the antenna is installed directly on the roof of the vehicle.

Glen, K9STH

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.