ad: Schulman-1

What is the best 2m/70cm antenna, that will not cost too much?

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KJ7QNP, Nov 16, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KJ7QNP

KJ7QNP Ham Member QRZ Page

I would like an external antenna for 2m and 70cm, for my UHF/VHF handheld, what are my options or what would be best for me? I don't want to spend a lot right now, just want to extend my range, as I can get repeaters depending on where I am located in my house, I don't think I am going to need much?

2. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Make one. J-poles are great and easy to build if you can solder copper pipes. Or just a simple quarter wave. Some 12 ga. wire and an So-239. Just google either. If you have to buy probably some decent cheap antennas on ebay or amazon. If you need dual band for your handheld that might be the way to go. You could also look at MFJ but I would never recommend it to a freind.

W0XA likes this.
  3. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

If you're able to get to repeaters from within the house using the HT's factory antenna, then pretty much any external antenna will do the job. An Ed Fong Slim Jim would be an inexpensive and proven solution.

Chris

4. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

1/4-wave Marconi cut for 2m will do the job for both bands no sweat. Five pieces of wire @19.25 inches long soldered to a silver-plated panel mount SO-239 will get your signal out FB and cost $5 max.

Jeff

5. N0IOP

N0IOP Ham Member QRZ Page

You can look at the Arrow Antenna GP146/440. I have the 6m version which I bought after figuring out that it was more expensive for me to buy the parts for a homemade one out of copper pipe. They are 1/4 wave antennas that provide no gain, but are economical and straightforward.

For 2m/440, I have the Diamond X50NA which provides a little bit of gain and is still quite inexpensive.

With either antenna, you will probably find that feedline, mast, mounting components, and lightning protection cost more than the antenna itself.

6. KC3PBI

KC3PBI Ham Member QRZ Page

^ that right there.

I made a 'flowerpot' antenna with about $8 worth of parts, but I need nearly $50 worth of feedline to put it someplace where it works properly.

7. KJ7QNP

Wow thank you everyone, looks like I am going to need to dig around in my shop for some parts.

8. KJ4YEV

KJ4YEV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

026.JPG
    This is a pair of 1/4W verticals with radials. One is 2M, the other is 220. Both work well. Made from an SO239 connector, and 10 Gauge wire.

Making it dual band is a little more difficult.

That's a power transmission line in the background. It causes no problems at VHF/UHF frequencies.

9. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

If you want to boost your distance with a "beam", you can't beat a quagi.

Search "2m quagi" or "70cm quagi" and look at all the ways you can build on on the super cheap.

Rege

KA7CJH likes this.
  10. KJ7QNP

Am I going to need an SWR meter?