What is the best 10M + 2M/440 + CB antenna arrangement for...

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KF7RQR, Feb 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KF7RQR

KF7RQR Ham Member QRZ Page

I own a 4-door, soft-top Jeep Wrangler and would like to fix, mount 3 antenna - one CB, one dual band (2M/440), and one for HF (including 10M). All three will be used while underway - mostly the dual band and the HF. The CB is more for group trail riding.

Ideally I would like to spread a mounting bar across the back above the spare tire - so that the base was just below the height of the soft-top. My thoughts are to put the dual band in the center to give more room between the HF and the CB. I'm trying to optimize the patterns and not have the HF and CB patterns work off each other becoming a rough directional pattern - my understanding is that CB is 11M

If there is a solid ground to the frame, what is the optimal mounting height for the best patterns? would flush to the top of the rood be sufficient?
    If I mount the HF up front (further from the CB) it would be closer to 9 foot apart and that is what I understand to be the optimal dual-antenna setup for CB.

Given I can not change the geometry of the Jeep and my intended usage, what is the optimal placement horizontally and vertically for these three antenna?

2. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Here's what I did. I installed a Radio Schack CB antenna on a 'mirror mount' on the spare tyre stop. I cut it down for 10m, with the idea that if I really need an 11m antenna, I'll go buy another one and change them out when needed. Realistically though, for any 11m work I need to do, the 10m antenna will work good enough.

I have a 2m antenna at the rear driver's corner, but frankly, I haven't found any 2m antenna solution that actually works on my Jeep.

What HF bands do you plan to operate?

3. K0BG

K0BG Ham Member QRZ Page

Spend some time looking through the photo gallery on my web site.

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Good suggestion.

I don't know of any "HF" antenna (for all the bands) that will work the way you describe and also go under bridges and trees and stuff.

A good HF screwdriver antenna will also tune to 11m so if you need to use it on CB, it can do that.

VHF-UHF antennas have completely different requirements. They need to be the highest thing on the vehicle (generally, the center of the roof) and aren't so tall they'd hit overpasses and stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.