ad: Momobeam-1

What is Kenwood doing these days regarding new products?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W3SAV, Oct 10, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, they've "kept saying" for over half a century now...:rolleyes::p

KS2G, K4NWD and K0UO like this.
  2. N0WBA

N0WBA Ham Member QRZ Page

I keep scanning the ham toy stores and about the only kenwood radios I find are 890-sold out 590sg- only a few out there and probably on it's way out and the v71a

3. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

There's a difference between shortages due to CoViD and chip shortages leading to "out of stock,"but NOT out of production, which doesn't seem to fit the TS-590, '890, or '990 HF radios, and CERTAINLY does not signify "out of business."

NL7W and KS2G like this.
  4. KO4DNI

KO4DNI Ham Member QRZ Page

I won a 590sg at field day this year. I’ve only been General class since June so I don’t know a whole lot about all of the rigs out there but I can honestly say as long as it continues to function I don’t know what else I’d ever need in a radio.

N3AWS, KA4DPO, WA9SVD and 1 other person like this.
  5. W7IMM

W7IMM Ham Member QRZ Page

I am not sure you should expect JVCKenwood to put a lot of (or any) R&D dollars into the miniscule part of their business that produces communications equipment for a bygone era.

If you want to read about JVCKenwoods focus, instead of relying on hearsay and wishful thinking via internet forums, just read their own reports @ https://www.jvckenwood.com/en/ir.html

And specifically, what they are saying right now, what their plan is for 2023 and beyond.
    https://www.jvckenwood.com/en/press/2021/info-pdf-211014-01.html

If you don't want to read the whole report which is somewhat enlightening, scroll down to about page 16 in the Business Strategy, Public Service Sector area (where they actually mention "amateur radio systems" .....(only a couple of times in the entire document btw)

This is their most current info on where they're headed. If I was a betting man, I would say JVCKenwood isn't putting amateur radio systems or equipment very high on the list.

And if you read through their most current Integrated Report from top to bottom, I'm not thinking they're going to spend a lot (if any) on amateur radio product development.

I am glad the only "Kenwood" radio I have is my (JVCKenwood) EF Johnson Viking Valiant......because I can fix it myself and I don't think they'd be willing to offer warranty support!

For those that have spent thousands of dollars on TS-990's and 890's, Good luck! At some point in the future, my Valiant will probably be worth more than either one of them!

Cheers,

Rick

PU2OZT likes this.
  6. N7AY

N7AY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What I’d like to see out of Kenwood is a competitor of the ic9700. Any chance of that? Any rumors?

N3AWS likes this.
  7. VE2IHS

VE2IHS Ham Member QRZ Page

@W7IMM Great read thanks. I'm used to those corporate reports and presentation. I agree with you that amateur radio isn't their priority. Kenwood seems to be investing into digital product of all kind. Radio-wise, it seems that they are going foward with public(fire/police/power)/emergency p25 low power communication. No mention of project or R&D of amateur radio.

8. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The market for such a radio is way too Niche, I doubt it was worth it for Icom.

9. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

No different than several "luxury" vehicles past and present that were loss leader showcases.
    If ICOM's at $12-15K couldnt make money it was likely then written off as R&D

10. NY7Z

NY7Z Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Don’t forget that R&D dollars can benefit both Kenwood’s amateur *and* commercial lines. I would think the R&D into SDR would serve both applications.

Speaking of SDR, that is where the future of ham radio lies. Not necessarily Flex style computer connected and mouse controlled radios, but also traditional knob and switch style radios that happen to be built around SDR technology, a la the IC-7300.

As good as the TS-590SG is, Kenwood would be well-served to bring out an upgraded replacement based on SDR tech to compete with the IC-7300 and FTDX-10. Hopefully that’s where they are putting some of their R&D dollars.