What is Kenwood doing these days regarding new products?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W3SAV, Oct 10, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
  1. W3SAV

W3SAV Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't disagree with you. :)

KS2G likes this.
  2. AI5DH

AI5DH Ham Member QRZ Page

Good example. Kenwood had to recall the TS590S to fix the ALC, and just about anyone in the market for a 590 knows to avoid the TS590S model. As for the eTS590SG, I owned one for a couple of years, just a mediocre performer, nothing to write home about even when it was new. Easy to interface digital modes, but no contender for honors.

3. KD5J

KD5J Ham Member QRZ Page

With the current chip shortage, transportation issues, covid, etc. I do not see Kenwood or any Japanese manufacturer coming out with a new rig soon. The worldwide economy will have to rebound, that is going to a slow process.

WK0P likes this.
  4. K3EY

K3EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You just really pissed Ron off!

KA4DPO and W5IEI like this.
  5. WA1GXC

WA1GXC Ham Member QRZ Page

How 'bout ergonomics and human factors? How about getting rid of all the s*** on the front panel that gets you no closer to reliable communications than existed 20 or 30 years ago.

Complexity masquerading as sophistication.

"We give 'em what they want!" say the Big 3.

Maybe it's the hams who need to do the research, or go out of business.

WN1MB likes this.
  6. K3EY

I think your Arrow is Broken on that assessment

NL7W, WA9SVD and K4NWD like this.
  7. AI5DH

AI5DH Ham Member QRZ Page

No sir, all one needs to do is look and do a little homework. There was even a thread on it here nine years ago about ALC overshoot; not even firmware would fix it. It was a hardware problem, and the radio had to be returned for the factory mod and well documented. Another example here. Some even fixed it themselves. If you would have looked would know I am a straight arrow.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
  8. K3EY

It was a play on words and your qth___ but I have owned both the S and SG still have the SG and I'd say the RX is way beyond mediocre. Other stupid stuff, fine you win cuz I did have to send a couple units to Kenwood for other things but never the ALC problem: Muli Switch, Display, USB board, that stuff. RX is GREAT, IMO anyway. I also have FTdx10 and IMO the receivers are about a match with the Yaesu having a much better noise reduction system.

NL7W, NY7Z and K8XG like this.
  9. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, Yaseu had to. They came out and said they had to discontinue the FT3dr and make the FT5DR due to change of chip manufactures... No need for me I will keep my FT3

10. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

^ Yes the Yaesu DNR from the 991 on to the newer models is the best, even the 891 mini radio has better dnr than a 7300 and I own all 3 of them, plus a ft2000 that beat the 7300.

I keep the 7300 as a dedicated digital radio and nice Signal Analysis screen and sd-card snap shot radio; I use my Yaesus for other work.