What is Kenwood doing these days regarding new products?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W3SAV, Oct 10, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
  1. W3SAV

W3SAV Ham Member QRZ Page

I think that a company has to have new products occasionally to stay active in a market. And long term I would hate to lose a player in the market. The big three becoming the big two is not good for anyone particularly the buyer. Prices are more apt to go up. I am hearing that Kenwood is not spending the money on R&D like tey used to, but that is a rumor.

2. W3SAV

Let's hope that is the case. Looking for a more portable HF rig but have been holding out for almost two years. Come first of the year I am going to pull the trigger and go ICOM, or (more likley Yaesu), If I dont hear about anything new from Kenwood coming.

3. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The new TS 490 to replace the 480
    It will be a SDR type mobile and will a Big seller like the 480 has been/ they made good $$$s on the 480.
    You may see it at Dayton next year. HI

The 890 and 990 replacements will have new numbering and are 2 years off with things like they are in the world.
    .... ..

73 from,
    The K0UO " Rhombic Antenna Farm" 2 miles of wire in the Air & On the Air daily

Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
  4. KS2G

KS2G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, this! ^^

As I have posted every time this subject arises...

Kenwood has been in the amateur radio market for nearly six decades.

They've stuck to the same pattern throughout that time...

Rather than "flooding the zone" with new models (See: Yaesu & Icom), Kenwood has always developed a just handful of top-performing radios and continued to manufacture/market each model (with minor improvements along the way) for as long as it sells in sufficient quantity to make it worthwhile -- often ten years or longer -- thereby getting the most out of their R&D and manufacture tooling investments. (See: TS-520/530, TS-820/830, TS-2000, TS-430/440, TS-570/590, TH-F6a, etc.).

And, on an ongoing basis, they take more ad space in QST than either Yaesu or Icom.

;)

VK6APZ, NL7W, WA9SVD and 3 others like this.
  5. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

They keep their radios selling for a decade or more. Their home run HTs can't be made anymore due to "The Chip Factory" fire.

NL7W, WN1MB, K0UO and 2 others like this.
  6. KS2G

As I said in my post #14, Kenwood doesn't need "new products occasionally to stay active in the market."
    They "stay active in the market" by producing top-performing radios that sell well for ten years or more.

Fear not!
    Kenwood started in amateur radio more than 40 years before you did.
    They're no going anywhere.
    ;)

WA9SVD, WN1MB, K0UO and 1 other person like this.
  7. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

We may well be hearing the same "rumor" about Kenwood in another 40 years.:p:rolleyes:

I mean, it's been at least four weeks since the subject came up (again just like clockwork.)

8. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

...and what in amateur radio is so cutting edge that a lot (or any) R&D dollars has to be spent? The few rigs that come with Bluetooth are using versions that ended ten to fifteen years ago.

9. W3SAV

Part of research and development can entail things other than the technical. For example, customer research to find out what people want in a radio and a business analyst outlines specs and then submits it to engineering tasked with making it happen. Also newer and better control software. Perhaps the customer wants more integration between the radio and the computer. Or not.

10. KS2G

It appears that Kenwood has been pretty good at that, since enough hams seem to want their radios to warrant continued production for ten years or more. (See, for example: Kenwood TS-590S/590SG)

;)

NL7W, K8XG and K4NWD like this.