What is Kenwood doing these days regarding new products?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W3SAV, Oct 10, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W3SAV

W3SAV Ham Member QRZ Page

Seems like everyone is coming out with new products except Kenwood. I know this is going to sound rude but is Kenwood going to be in the amateur radio business 5 years from now? If you don't have new products every 3 to 5 years you are not spending money on R&D. And that is never a good thing.

2. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

For the big three: Kenwood, Icom and Yaesu, ham radio products are usually an offshoot of their commercial and government products.

We should be glad that they even sell any ham equipment.

WK0P, K8PG, W5ESE and 6 others like this.
  3. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

FWIW, I've heard (versions of) Kenwood is "going out of the amateur market" for over 50 years now... Maybe, just maybe, they spend more time time at diligent R&D to provide what performs VERY well, and not just "eye candy" on their products.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
    NL7W, NY7Z, K4NWD and 2 others like this.
  4. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

The time to start worrying about Kenwood's longevity in the amateur radio market is when Dishtronix buys all their existing inventory and parts stock. Until such time, relax.

WK0P, WA9UAA, KA4DPO and 13 others like this.
  5. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

dishtronix?:confused: I heard it was Ten-Tec.:p

WK0P likes this.
  6. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, they did bring out the 891 a few years ago. That's the Kenwood way compared to Yaesu and Icom who have more robust amateur radio lines...new products are few and far between. Frankly, I'm surprised they don't come out with a successor to the 590sg...something to compete with the IC-7300 and FT-DX10. Maybe they will...but I wouldn't hold my breath. ;)

7. W4NNF

Yeah, but if that happens many here will say: "KENWOOD WILL BE SELLING NEW TRANSCEIVERS ANY DAY NOW!!" For years. :D

N6HCM and KP4SX like this.
  8. AI5DH

AI5DH Ham Member QRZ Page

Why would Kenwood release another radio? What is in it for them? Certainly, no money to be made in ham radio market, and the clientele is aging and dying off. Show me the money.

N6HCM, NL7W and PU2OZT like this.
  9. W4NNF

Yeah, Icom sold so few IC 7300s they gave up on it. Oh. Wait. :D

N3AWS, AB0R, AG5DB and 6 others like this.
  10. N5WTF

N5WTF Ham Member QRZ Page

Look at Kenwoods track record on releasing new radios. They do not release near as many as Icom or Yaesu, but when they do it is usually a homerun. And will be in production for 10-20 years. I am waiting to see what they step up with in the SDR world.

K5URU, KB2SMS, NL7W and 7 others like this.