What is ham radio doing to help out in this national emergency

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N6PAT, Mar 16, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KN4EHX

KN4EHX Ham Member QRZ Page

For what it is worth if the media reported every adverse reaction to peanuts, penicillin, and shellfish they wouldn’t have time to talk about anything else.

Of course we still have a lot to learn about the vaccines and the long term effects, but we also don’t know what the long term effects of getting COVID-19 will be either. Locally we run out of ambulances almost daily and at this point we’re close to having as many dead Americans from COVID-19 as we had from WWII. Close to 400,000 people in a year vs 4 years for WWII. Naturally the larger population can be argued, but at this point it is likely you know someone who has died from COVID-19.

I think back to guys like Dr. Salk and Dr. Lister who didn’t seem to have such resistance when doing their work. Dr. Salk made the poliomyelitis vaccine. It had all sorts of side effects, but chances are many people on this forum remember the polio epidemic. Being in my late 20’s I was not alive, but my aunt has been in a wheelchair ever since she was a child - just before the Salk Vaccine.

Point being those guys took a gamble on developing preventive medicines for terrible diseases. As a public health professional I tip my hat to them. The public also took that bet. Science has come a verrryyy long way since the 50’s. A lot of radio nerds grace the halls of great scientists.

I guess it boils down to asking the question are you a betting man? I took that bet. So far so good. I also enjoyed some peanuts and shellfish.

What ham radio does in this pandemic: As a public health professional I harp on education and making people aware of health related topics. I think radio has done an excellent job in the respect of public health. Safety nets and information about vaccines are abound in our world of radio. Without the spread of information we in public health are dead in the water. Cheers to ham radio.

best wishes to all,
    KN4EHX

Tell me if this looks familiar?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
  2. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

I really enjoy my IC 7410, its an unappreciated radio.

Between 1979-1984 an oral polio vaccine was administered even though the pharmaceutical company and the federal government knew it was not a safe vaccine (it repeatedly failed the monkey test). The vaccine was then distributed to US county clinics and given to poorer families, killing more children than officially stated and maiming thousands. It became such a problem that in 1984 it was pulled from US distribution. Instead of being destroyed the remaining vials were sold overseas, India knew about the problems and banned it's use. The pharmaceutical company then sold it in Africa. Documentation tells of parents running and hiding their children in the jungle because they discovered how virulent it was, again leaving a path of maiming and death.
    How do I know these things? Because my son contracted polio in 1983 from the vaccine. He almost died, we were destroyed financially, and it left my son a triplegic. It took years and a lot of money to find out all this information, we have a stack of 3 ring binders with the documentation. President Reagan ended up signing a comprehensive compensation bill to compensate those who were injured, unfortunately it only covered 3,500 victims leaving many out. Most victims were not even aware that their children were killed or maimed by the vaccine but the CDC knew because they tracked every vaccination. We had no idea, we were told various reasons for 2 years until we found out the truth because of a whistle blowing nurse from the state CDC. News media then refused to run the story because the government squashed it in "fear" that parents would refuse it. The same goes for today.
    This vaccine and the pharmaceutical companies are exempt from lawsuits, injuries will not be compensated.
    I'm not against vaccines, I am against pushing faulty vaccines. Is this one faulty? Who knows, and the powers at be will never let us know.

If one finds a IC 7410 for sale I'd suggest to pick it up. Very good radio especially once one learns how to properly set it up.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
    WE4B, VK2WP, KN4EHX and 2 others like this.
  3. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

When I was seven years old we were herded into the school gymnasium to get a polio shot. They didn't have disposable needles or syringes in those days, there was a row of autoclaves and several pans full of sterilized syringes and needles.

The needles were big back then and the shots really hurt:eek:, but I don't remember any side effects other than the retardation that causes one to become a ham operator.:D

Dr. Salk would not accept money for his groundbreaking discovery, he did it for science, and to help his fellow man. I wish we had more like him today.

VK2WP, KP4SX, WZ7U and 1 other person like this.
  4. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Which shot was the one that left a mark that looked like a small radio tube?

PU2OZT and KA4DPO like this.
  5. K4KYV

K4KYV Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Here's something probably good to be aware.

In this mess of online social media craziness, one website reportedly
    tells users to select other ways and other media sites to stay in contact, and
    suggests that one is ham radio. Here is a statement said to be copied from the site:

Learn about ham (amateur) radio (http://www.arrl.org/what-is-amateur-radio ).
    I'm told the online test for a license is cheap and easy to get. Find out more in
    the large group "Ham Radio" on Facebook."

So, if we field enquiries, finding out their true motivations may save a ton of
    QRM from the bands.

6. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

If you're talking about the one on your shoulder with a circular scar about 1/2" in diameter, that's smallpox and the circle is actually a single "low energy" small pox "scar" implanted in your skin to build immunities by injecting the vaccine into multiple layers of skin. Most adults today who lived in the 1950s to early 1970s have that scar and will for life. Note that even today, there is still no cure for smallpox - and it's still deadly in over 30% of cases... but for all intents and purposes it's been eradicated in most regions.

The vaccine is still given but it's not done with the giant multi-needle "1/2-inch diameter needle cluster of horror" that a great many of us over 50 well remember from our school days. For those well below that age who didn't live through those times, "vaccine day" was a horror school kids HATED - they lined us up all the way down the hall to get our vaccination shots - and the Smallpox shot was HORRIBLE for most... much screaming and crying and gnashing of teeth! It proved your metal as a kid to endure it without so much as wimper, in a packed hallway filled with your peers.

Dave
    W7UUU

WE4B, KX4O, WD4ELG and 2 others like this.
  7. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

That's the one! The scar looked like a tube socket to me.

And yes, it was a matter of holding your mud to look good to the rest of the class, despite the agony endured.

KA4DPO likes this.
  8. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That's right, us old guys are tough.;) Shots hurt more, and our radios were really heavy, you had to be tough to tote those boat anchors to field day.:D

WZ7U likes this.
  9. PA3LS

PA3LS Ham Member QRZ Page

Because the C19 virus is fairly similar to the SARS virus that wreaked havoc in the far east a few years ago, quite a lot of work on the vaccine was already done. This is why the new vaccine could get into production so quickly.
    I agree that the vaccines should be absolutely safe, but i have a high level of trust in them. It's not as rushed as it perhaps seems.

One thing that is strongly under-researched and underexposed, however, is the influence of the adenovirus-based vaccine (and other of that type) on susceptibility to HIV. HIV exposure doesn't always result in infection, but adenovirus-vaccines can increase the chance of infection.
    Not an issue at all if you're monogamous or only have low risk sex. Pretty much all straight, partnered people could get that vaccine and not run significantly more risk because their risk is very very low to start with.
    But for others, it may be significant.

The RNA-based virus does not have this effect.

KA4DPO likes this.
  10. AG4RT

AG4RT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I don’t remember being bothered by getting the shot. I do remember some others showing great displeasure, and even some that bled like stuck pigs. Not sure why all the blood, maybe they flinched?