WHAT IS FIELD DAY?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by Guest, Jun 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
  1. Guest

Guest Guest

A previous thread asked what folks were doing for FD.

As usually happens when such a question is posed, it invariably ends up that

-- Others will make a reference to FD being a 'contest' and that they don't operate it because they don't like contests.

-- Others contend that newcomers should be wary and check out the group they go with because it will be most likely that a group who is 'contest oriented' will tend to leave 'newbies' abandoned and isolated while they pursue the Holy Grail of the 'best score'.

-- Others contend that Field Day is not a contest but an operating event designed to help us hone our skills so we'll be able to do what we do best in an emergency situation.

Still others have other reasons..

YOU KNOW WHAT????

The SIMPLE ANSWER IS THIS....

FIELD DAY IS WHATEVER *YOU* DECIDE IT WILL BE.

If you are into contesting.. then it's a contest.

if you are into emergency preparadeness.. then it's a test or a shakedown for your setup or a drill for your group.

If you are into experimentation wtih new modes, makeshift antennas, and 'throw it together and see if it will work!' type of effort.. then that's what it is for YOUR group.

If you are into the 'casual' operation - toss the rig on the backporch table, toss a wire over the tree, hook up the QRP rig and a battery and enjoy your drink while making some QSO's.. then have at it!

IF YOU ARE A NEWBIE.. ONLY ONE THING YOU NEED TO UNDERSTAND!!

There are as many DIFFERENT reasons for someone/some group doing FD as their are different groups out there.

Check out THEM all and see what they ALL do! Learna little about them all and then you'll find one that 'tickles your fancy' for that year. When you do.... ENJOY WHAT YOU ARE DOING! YOu can learn from EVERY GROUP!!

**IN SHORT**

FIELD DAY IS WHAT ** YOU ** CHOOSE TO MAKE IT!!

THAT is what Field Day is!

See!! Told you the answer was simple!

NOW.. GO OUT AND HAVE FUN!!!!

Chuck K3FT

After 38 years of doing FD covering the ENTIRE gamut ranging from the 'hardcore contest plan the entire preceeding year' to the '1/2 hour before it starts toss the rig on the table, wire over the tree, plug into 110VAC and operate a few hours' I know whereof I speak.

FIELD DAY IS WHATEVER ** YOU ** MAKE IT TO BE!!!

ENJOY! HAVE FUN!

I'll be with W3PGA this year.

2. KB9YCO

KB9YCO Ham Member QRZ Page

That's a good point, hope everyone has an enjoyable time with it whatever they may do. 73

3. WA5KRP

WA5KRP Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm the FD Chairman this year for the Alamo Area Radio Organization.  We will set up next to a sports complex adjacent to the University of Texas Health Science Center here in San Antonio.  We always encourage curious folks to come over and see what ham radio is all about.  It's amazing to watch their reaction to operators talking to stations scattered around the US.  

Most, like me as a newbie, are too shy to work the GOTA station - maybe one in ten will take a shot at it.  But some are smitten by the magic of radio, and we've had two or three go on to earn their ticket after past FD's.

The big deal for AARO is being able to deploy our stations and operating as if we were under emergency conditions.  Everybody is encouraged to participate in setting up, operating, and logging.  And they do.  Overall, we're very laid back.  If we're hell-bent on anything, it's to have fun as a club.  Our sixty-something members range from teenagers to seniors, and we enjoy each other's company.  FD seems to bring out the best in everybody.  If there is a downside to the event, it's the weight gained from all the good food brought to the Saturday evening covered dish dinner.

Good luck, everybody.  Be sure to give us - AA5RO - a call! As K3FT has said, FD is what you decide it will be.  Hope ya'll have all kinds of fun!  

WA5KRP
    Texas

4. KB1JCY

KB1JCY Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm the one who was giving the cautionary tale to new hams. So I will comment:

My advice was based upon learning the hard way from doing FD with the wrong people. Sure you can have tons of fun at a FD event, but if the group you're with has other motives, it's going to be miserable.

It is what you make out of it but you should be an informed participant and make wise choices. That way you don't waste their time and yours.

5. W6EZ

W6EZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I love Field Day.

Fixin' everyone else's broken antennas.

Stopping the fights over who works what bands.

Puttin' up another antenna for the guy who got a late start.

Moving yet another antenna for the guy who thinks the ground at his operating position is "too slopey."

Burned hot dogs.

But, you know, at the end of day when the freshly caught beers are roasting on the fire you know you will be back next year.

6. KA3RFE

KA3RFE QRZ Member QRZ Page

I Participated in my club's FD excercise the first year I was a novice. They had practically everything but TV going. There seemed to be people who wanted to operate as well as people just socializing and cooking on a grill.

We set up in field next to our clubhouse on QRP batteries. I was amazed to see that a battery could last for 24 hours of continuous use. I was also amazed that a random wire could pull in so many contacts.

We did not have a novice/tech station that year, so I logged contacts for an extra-class buddy of mine working high speed CW. He wrote down the call and I filled the rest of it out. And after a while, I was copying the contacts without his needing to write it down!!

I made some contacts on the club's satillite station, too. The pass times and such were already printed out and they knew when a bird was over head. They were using a  simple turnstile antenna.

I'm not sure what I will be doing for FD. It's always a last minute thing for me.

73 Pete KA3RFE

7. WA2ZDY

WA2ZDY Guest

What Field Day is to me: FUN!

8. N2PVP

N2PVP Ham Member QRZ Page

Fun [​IMG] Fun [​IMG] and more fun [​IMG]

9. W4ROT

W4ROT Ham Member QRZ Page

Field Day is the time you realize that the old man you are hanging with really loves this art as much as you do and probably more.
    Good times and many contacts,
    w4rot

10. K7DLX

K7DLX Ham Member QRZ Page

It's a time to renew friendships and work on bands that, living in an antenna restricted apartment, I normally don't get to work.

Also, I can recognize certain calls as being from previous years. If I can identify them as part of a certain radio club I will greet them by club name. For example, if I hear K6QWR I can say hi to the Victor Valley Radio Club in Victorville, California. I did FD with them for three years and still enjoy hearing the "Quick White Rabbit" on the air. Always gets a good chuckle out of the operator when I identify them by name.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.