What is DX ?

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by K5NCW, Oct 15, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. DJ0AJ

DJ0AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

dx ist werry waith qso 1500 miles vy73 DJOAJ ekrem

2. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Current definition???

It should be evident here there is none. It’s purely an ‘eye of the beholder’ thing.
    Maybe a better question is - what difference does it make (what anyone thinks)?

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

[​IMG]

DJ0AJ, KD2UHD and PU2OZT like this.
  4. AE4CH

AE4CH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Wonder if amateurs could CQ “International?” Call sign would define originator country.

Me, I would just like anyone to answer me on 2m. I spoke to someone today about 40 miles away, so to me, I DX’ed today. Yes, through a repeater. I was on a handheld. So, I need to give myself a DX award for sure.

5. KC2SIZ

KC2SIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

It's all very subjective and I don't think there's anything wrong with that, really. At different times, I think of DX in terms of distance, socio-political entities and culture. Cuba isn't far away from me, but I think of it as DX because it is a separate country and culture.

However, would I work super hard to work a particular station in Cuba? Probably not, as it's usually not hard to work Cuban stations and so there will be many opportunities.

On the other hand, I was totally unable to get excited about working Navassa Island, despite the fact that it a so-called "rare" entity. "Rareness" is not something that excites me, at least not when it's a DXpedition. If someone actually lived on Navassa, earned their ham license and got on the air, that would be a lot more interesting to me. But that's just me and it really is all subjective. I know people who KILLED themselves to work Navassa and more power to them.

6. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Really? Was this in the news?

KE0GXN likes this.
  7. KC2SIZ

KC2SIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

It was buried on the back page. :)

KE0GXN likes this.
  8. DJ0AJ

DJ0AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

hallo dave greeting vy73 DJOAJ ekrem

W7UUU likes this.
  9. AI8O

AI8O XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It all depends.

POWER, Ionospheric conditions, your antenna system, xenophobia, etc.

The next county is DX if your using 10 milliwatts,
    1.5 kilowatt and you're everywhere.

May the propagation gods smile on you!

10. M0TTQ

M0TTQ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There is a European advantage in working towards DXCC - there are over 60 within easy range on HF. But I think everyone in Europe considers DX to be "outside Europe", although I would not tell an op from Monaco or the Vatican to get off my frequency. DX for a long time has been about difficulty rather than actual distance.

PU2OZT likes this.