What is DX ?

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by K5NCW, Oct 15, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. K5NCW

K5NCW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What is considered DX? An adjacent country? Distance over 1000 miles? I recently called a Canadian station on 15 meters from South Texas. The chap refused my call, saying he was looking for DX only ????

2. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Cliches aside, it depends…

W0XA likes this.
  3. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You want to hear silly? USA and Canada don't consider each other to be DX, while both of them see Mexico as DX?!?

Pure distance wise, Canada is further from you in Texas but Mexico is right next door, radio wise...

Consider the poor European ham, with "DX" countries in every direction and some of them are literally right next door!

So, as @K1VSK pointed out: it depends. One hams DX is another ham's next door neighbor. Yeah we get it: DX was intended to show that the other ham was a long distance away. That's where we get the term: from the phone company's term for a distant exchange. IOW a switch board that was a long way away. I don't know what their standards were either, but we're stuck with the terminology.

The silliness was compounded by the existence of award / certificate programs that awarded a ham for working stations that were a "long way" from the originator. Kind of a macho best ham contest... It all comes down to who is making the decisions about what qualifications make one station DX relative to another. It's all organized silliness anyway but we seem to enjoy it! I know I do too...

So, "DX is!" is many ham's motto: whatever that means, really... o_O

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
    K0UO, K8PG, PU2OZT and 1 other person like this.
  4. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Back in the olden days my Elmer said it meant a station in any other country. I think that Canadian station had unrealistic expectations. And he sounds like a rude jerk.

K0UO, K8PG, KK9W and 1 other person like this.
  5. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

DX is the one station you need that's just ever so slightly beyond the reach of your radio and antenna at that time.

Dave
    W7UUU

KD2HAM, K1THE, HA3FLT and 14 others like this.
  6. N4UFO

N4UFO Ham Member QRZ Page

I believe DX was originally an abbreviation for 'distance'... so like most things, it's all relative.

K0UO, K8PG and WB5YUZ like this.
  7. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

To coin a phrase: "DX is..."

:) Bonus points for those who remember the column in CQ

KX8C, K0UO, WB5YUZ and 1 other person like this.
  8. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It's any QSO that you personally consider to be an achievement worth talking about.

Martin G8FXC

WD5GWY, KX8C, K0UO and 2 others like this.
  9. PU2OZT

PU2OZT Ham Member QRZ Page

Indeed Martin!!

I'd be surprized to have a Roraima station in my logbook, still Brazil, while Paraguay, Uruguay and Argentina «DX» radio-amateurs are way closer and easier to me radio-wise.

I've even read on some QRZ pages that Brazilians are NOT «DX» to some of those, a no-go if we answered.
    And that's the way radio goes with ********* within doomed Latin-america.
    As if we were helped by propagation and all had efficient antennas.

Each and every contact is a gift, considering propagation and my poor station.

Emphatizing, if can please a radio-amateur, wherever QTH, answering his call, I'd be myself even more delighted.

Brazilian Kids Day was a total fail, this very week.

Oliver

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2021
    KA0HCP likes this.
  10. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What is DX? It is dependent on a number of things. Your location verses that of the station you work. The band as well. What is DX on 2 meters or 6 meters is very different than what DX is on HF.

AJ4GQ and KP4SX like this.