What is an acceptable loss for you for your coax on the HF frequencies?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KN4DQE, Nov 6, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. AB8MA

AB8MA Subscriber QRZ Page

That's when a decent snow storm works to your advantage. You cannot see anything.

WZ7U likes this.
  2. N0IOP

N0IOP Ham Member QRZ Page

All zip ties exposed to weather and sun will fail. The "UV resistant" ones may last a couple of years before they do it.

N0TZU likes this.
  3. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

The 1/2" zip ties are much thicker and beefier than the thinner chincy ones used to secure rotor cable against a tower leg. Those last at least few years. These thicker ones will last much longer than they do.

Keep in mind everything degrades in a UV environment, even the varnished popsicle sticks hams are using for ladder line spacers. I suspect thicker materials injected with UV inhibitors will fair much better by comparison.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    N0TZU likes this.
  4. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Years ago, in QST, there was a small article about amateur radio operators in Hawai'i using chopsticks for open wire line insulators.

Glen, K9STH

5. WZ7U

WZ7U Subscriber QRZ Page

Sorry. You did notice the links, right?
    While I offended your sensibilities, the bigger message is do a little research on your own first. And don't get butthurt so easy. ;)

6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I use RG6 2400 MHz rated coax for low power.

The loss at HF is not much.

It works fine for 2 meters and 70 cm too.

75 Ohms is close enough for government work.

Works good and last a long time.

WZ7U likes this.
  7. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually I don't think you need to apologize. People are lazy. His response was passive aggressive throwing the blame on others, making the childish complaint on others not willing to share their knowledge. I have no issues helping others and answering questions (though I'm a galley slave) but I have quit providing links that they could have spent 1 minute doing the search themselves.
    People have no reason to be ignorant in this age. Clarification is worth asking for, but anymore people are too lazy to even bother to learn the basics.
    Don't apologize, your initial response was correct .

KY5U likes this.
  8. WZ7U

WZ7U Subscriber QRZ Page

I thought so too but felt bad pointing out the obvious. It's possible he was never shown how to do for himself.

9. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

If people are capable of posting online they are capable of using a search engine.
    *for those who don't know how:
    1-type in the thing you wish to learn about. Any search engine works, i.e. Google
    2-Read the options that appear. Warning, this could take effort
    3-If you need clarification on what you've read, please feel free to ask here. If you just want a link see #1

10. W4ZD

W4ZD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't sweat it too much, Travis. At times it seems to take a very thick skin to participate here, but for every ass there are a dozen good folk who are happy to help. Like you, had I a question regarding amateur radio, my first inclination would be to go to other hams for the answer. This has been a tradition in amateur radio since the beginning, and there is even a term for such folk, Elmers. I'm afraid that modern life, with its peculiarities, and the internet, has caused the tradition to atrophy somewhat. Or so it seems at times. Don't give up on this place, though. There are lots of kind, thoughtful, and knowledgeable people here. And don't ever give up asking questions, it is an important way that we all learn. Just a bit of philosophical musing from an old ham. :)