What is a "Troll"?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K3STX, Jun 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. K3STX

K3STX Ham Member QRZ Page

OK, I may be dense, but I ASSUMED a post that was later deemed a "troll" was one that was a sort of joke that was intended to rile us up and get us all agitated, sort of like trolling for fish with some kind of bait. (Like saying "I thought all Ham radio operators used Morse code exclusively, what gives?".

Other times, it seems to simply refer to a "stupid" post. Like "Oh, that troll doesn't know what he is talking about.

I always thought of trolls as the little guys who live under the bridges in fairy tales who would try to trick little kidss and eat them. I also know that to troll is to string along with a bait in an attempt to capture something. So it a Forum troll a NOUN, a VERB, or an ADJECTIVE?

paul

2. N0KLT

N0KLT QRZ Member QRZ Page

The answer is YES!!!!

3. KC8QMU

KC8QMU Ham Member QRZ Page

I thought trolls were those funny looking little figurines with the big hair, sometime with a pencil sticking out of their rear ends. [​IMG]

4. AB9HR

AB9HR Ham Member QRZ Page

Troll has the same meeting as in the fishing context :)

5. AC2I

AC2I Ham Member QRZ Page

Have you learned the meaning of "Flame baiter" yet?

6. KA3RFE

KA3RFE QRZ Member QRZ Page

We went trolling for hams in the Chespeake Bay today. Didn't catch a thing 'cept a lot of bologna.

7. N0PU

N0PU Guest

8. WA5KRP

WA5KRP Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (K3STX @ June 20 2004,19:38)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">OK, I may be dense, but I ASSUMED a post that was later deemed a &quot;troll&quot; was one that was a sort of joke that was intended to rile us up and get us all agitated, sort of like trolling for fish with some kind of bait.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Check it out:

A troll is not a post.

A troll is a poster.

A troll trolls.

A troll is good at getting posters to let their emotions run away, resulting in stupid posts from otherwise smart posters.

Draw your own conclusions.

WA5KRP
    Texas

9. KD4AMG

KD4AMG Ham Member QRZ Page

Is not a troll a :

Police officer ( cop, smokey bear, etc ) that parks his vehicle at the bottom of a long hill that folks can NOT keep from accidently / on purpose speed up over the speed limit so that they are going by too fast when they pass his vehicle and he can pull them over for a ticket.

Or am I totally wrong ?

10. KD4AMG

KD4AMG Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG] ( lol ) kc8qmu ... your description is not of a TROLL but of a &quot; concernedparent &quot; and that is another thread entirely.

Please do not confuse the two.

Thank you

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.