What is a realistic price to buy an Eico 753 for?

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by SP4IT, Nov 15, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
  1. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Are there Parts Swappers in Europe too?

2. SP4IT

SP4IT Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, they are. There are lots of local auction sites selling used tubes, transformers, variable capacitors etc. No doubt pulled out of old devices someone decided are worth more in parts than as they are.

Also, the "vintage loft" style of home decoration has no small impact. There are people that look for an empty chassis of some old receiver just for decoration. For me I would rather have the real working thing, service it and enjoy it.

Pheel, I'm located in Europe. Shipping would be prohibitively expensive, but thanks for mentioning it.

Regarding shipping. I did manage to get good deals before on shipping my Kenwood hybrid rig from US. I think shipping cost was a little over $100 if I remember correctly. It is easily double that for much heavier boat anchors(and probably another package doubling the price again to ship the PSU).

They do pop up in Europe and in the UK from time to time.

3. AC0OB

AC0OB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

My former Kenwood TS-830S weighed 13.5 Kg or 29.8 lbs.

My 753 weighs 11.2 kg or 24 lbs., so this will give you an idea of the weight differences.

Pheel

4. SP4IT

SP4IT Ham Member QRZ Page

That's interesting, I was expecting it to be double that. Do you know the weight of the power supply? (assuming you have one)

This is just out of curiosity at the moment.

AC0OB likes this.
  5. AC0OB

AC0OB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I do not have the power supply but have a design for the power supply. I bought it a Hamfest in a package deal.

Pheel

6. W9JEF

W9JEF Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Back in the late 60s/early 70s, I reconditioned many an Eico 753.

[​IMG]
    From the 1970 AES Catalog

Most of them just needed contacts cleaned, a few new tubes, and alignment. Once they left my bench, none failed to meet specs. But I never owned or operated one on the air, so all I know about the drifting is what I hear from those who used them.

Jim
    EARTH: LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT

AC0OB and W7UUU like this.