ad: Radclub22-1

What is a Radar in POTA you might ask?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K5QBF, Mar 1, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. N2LRB

N2LRB Ham Member QRZ Page

POTA does NOT Recognize huge New York City parks like Pelham Bay Park (2765 Acres), Green Belt Park (1778 Acres), Van Cortland Park (1146 Acres), Flushing Meadows Park (897 Acres) Central Park (843 Acres). When I asked them about it, I got nasty responses from them and from their Facebook Group. I had just asked if they included city parks. I do not and will not ever participate with such people or their activity. I will be activating New York City Park On The Air in a few weeks. I don't need POTA for that. 73 de N2LRB

WN1MB likes this.
  2. AI8O

AI8O XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Is this going to be a captain's 's mast or an Article 15 hearing? ;(

WD4ELG and WN1MB like this.
  3. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

They don't recognize the 6,000,000+ acre Adirondack Park, either. Their loss. I activate ADK whenever I visit and also don't need POTA for that.

4. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

Their program, their rules. Same as a contest. I was going to participate in the recent AM contest while out camping (just for grins, I am not even a semi-serious AM user), but when I saw the ridiculous context exchange, I decided I had better things to do around the campfire.

I "activated" an old cemetery (old as in nobody buried there since the 1800s) the other day while out for a bike ride (hey, it was out of the way, quiet, and had a bench to sit on). Maybe I'll start a new program, Cemeteries On The Air (COTA). Activators can be any age, but chasers have to be of an age where they might be shopping for a plot. o_O Log sheets to be delivered to the sales teams at large "memorial facilities" for targeted marketing. :eek:

I'd be more concerned about the response @N2LRB received from the program organizers, but since they don't get any compensation and I'm mainly interacting with other participants, it would only bother me a little.

Chris

5. K5QBF

K5QBF Ham Member QRZ Page

By all means go setup and operate out of any park you want that would be awesome. I love seeing people come out of the home shack and get a little sunshine. ADK might not be a park in the program, but there's a lot around it.

6. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

As a former mapping coordinator, we have to draw the line somewhere and that's with state and national parks, wildlife management areas and certain historic sites. It's a huge task already having to maintain a site list, verifying boundaries and locations, making corrections, adding new sites and deleting ones that have gone unactivated for too long or lost their qualifying status. Many state mapping coordinators handle multiple states as well. There would be no way include each and every park and still have a quality program.

Remember, this is all being done on other people's time and dime for your enjoyment. And unlike other organizations the awards are just that...awarded to you without asking for payment.

N8RKD, K5QBF, W9AFB and 1 other person like this.
  7. N0NC

N0NC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Radar= "RAdio Detection And Ranging". Which has what to do with POTA?
    RDAP ="Rapid Deployment Amateur Radio"
    73, Chuck
    N0NC

WN1MB likes this.
  8. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

It as about as much to do with POTA as any of these, but don't let that get in the way of a good pedantic nerd rage. :p

BTW, RDAP has a slew of meanings as well: RDAP - What does RDAP stand for? The Free Dictionary

There's another 2-3 pages of angry internet ham postings. :eek:

Chris

W0WTM likes this.
  9. N0NC

N0NC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

"don't let that get in the way of a good pedantic nerd rage." Not raging, thank you. But in electronic circles RADAR has meant the same thing for 60 years. As far as RDAP, never heard of it before, but people feel the need to hi-jack common acronyms rather then find something original. We're all ham radio (Rural Area Delivery of Information and Organization) together. Like the hollywood keeps making the same movies over and over again with new actors, no original thinking.

73, Chuck
    N0NC

WN1MB likes this.
  10. KD2AVW

KD2AVW Ham Member QRZ Page

I live in the ADK Park. In a double wide. Nestled between the prisons.

11. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

I was mistaken. It's been 81 years!

W2VW likes this.
  12. K5QBF

K5QBF Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you guys for all the hard work!! I really enjoy it.

13. KD1JT

KD1JT Ham Member QRZ Page

What’s your problem dude? Some people seem to have to piss and moan about everything. Are you jealous cause other people are having fun?

KI5AAI, KN6NWZ and K5QBF like this.
  14. KD1JT

KD1JT Ham Member QRZ Page

Why I work POTA and WWFF? ACTIVITY! Without different SIGs there would be nothing on the CW band. My small city lot is hard for good antennas. Being urban, it’s also noisy. I get out to a park, experiment with antennas, improve my operating techniques, and have some fun. And it’s RaDAR, not RADAR for you nit-pickers.

K5QBF likes this.
  15. YV5EN

YV5EN Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Shane, great job. I love POTA and I love RaDAR too. I found RaDAR activities some years ago when I saw this video from people of PA land. They defined LOWLANDS 5 x5 RaDAR by being QRV within 5 minutes after arriving to the site with 5 watts QRP rig.
    I think that a complete deployment of a station in just 5 minutes is very interesting to practice in each outdoor ham activity.
    Please keep moving and keep doing POTA/RaDAR.
    Hope to CU on air

K5QBF likes this.