What is a Ham Radio Curmudgeon?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KI4CFS, Oct 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Now if the ARRL would publish a ham radio "Love Boat" comic book they could attract the yute.

2. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yep. Or probably anybody younger and less crusty (on the air, at least) than OY. ;)

3. AC1GX

AC1GX Ham Member QRZ Page

Curmudgeons often point out irony and hypocrisy -- of course people don't like that. Then again, since irony is the essence of humor, many of us find it amusing.
    As we get older, the irony piles up... we have cameras that don't take pictures until a couple seconds after you've hit the button. We have outdoor lights that turn off on their own, and someone turns them back on by jumping up and down in their yard like an idiot. We have cars that won't start because something's wrong with the headlights.
    Watching people accept these circumstances without complaint is certainly as annoying to some as curmudgeonry is to others!
    Myself, I'm more of a contrarian.
    ...except sometimes I'm an anti-contrarian.

WD4IGX, WN1MB, WD8ED and 1 other person like this.
  4. KB3FEI

KB3FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

But, ........ it's not ........... is it?

5. NM7L

NM7L Ham Member QRZ Page

... in numbers too big to ignore.

KA0HCP and WZ7U like this.
  6. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Helen Reddy...there's a name from the past.

7. AG5WT

AG5WT Ham Member QRZ Page

Mature is probably a bad choice of words to describe the people I'm talking about.

That's a strawman argument. No one said that.

8. WD8ED

WD8ED Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe there is something lost on you. Insulting or shaming others in the hobby to make a point seldom works. We aren’t children you can wave your finger at. Scolding “cranky people” for being cranky probably isn’t going to find a large number of sympathetic ears here. That’s not the start of a positive topic. I’m not sure why you would think it would go that way.

I agree that hams are nicer on the air. That’s due more to the internet than ham radio. I also think that the modern culture of old white guys being the source of all evils throughout history is also taking its toll.

As for your “respect” load, You should take your own words to heart. It’s just another shaming/scolding attempt and most notably an indirect threat. My address is in the database internet tough guy. Maybe you come teach me that lesson yourself. You may just learn some respect as well.

I get the intent of the original post. But the choice of words and the angle used generated a predictable outcome. Vinegar was selected over sugar.

But it’s everybody else’s fault. Typical.

Ed

WN1MB, WD4IGX and K3XR like this.
  9. VK6ZGO

VK6ZGO Ham Member QRZ Page

I feel your pain, brother!
    I'm lying here, with my "pretend knee" playing up, breaking wind like a brewery horse, & wondering what happened to me!

I finally got around to doing something about an antenna for 6m--nothing high tech, just a vertical.
    I grabbed a CB whip, the standard type of which in VK is helically wound on a fibreglass blank.

By blind luck, this antenna's physical length was just about a quarter wavelength on 6m, so I unwound the helical winding, & used part of the same conductor fastened straight up the blank.
    When I was young, I would have stuck it up & be using it that same day, but now, just the effort of sitting at the bench, unwinding the thing wore me out!

That was two days ago!
    OK, in fairness, I did other stuff, like helping my wife out (she isn't too well), shopping, looking after the furry friends, etc, but the fact remains that in the VK vernacular,"I have run out of grunt"!

W1TRY likes this.
  10. VK6ZGO

VK6ZGO Ham Member QRZ Page

A laudable accomplishment!:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.