What is a Ham Radio Curmudgeon?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KI4CFS, Oct 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. K8AI

K8AI Ham Member QRZ Page

I would say I'm a younger ham and when I first encountered the grumpy old farts, I just gave the dial a spin and tried somewhere else - you see, I was pretty excited about this new thing and didn't let that deter me (and I doubt I'm any different). I think if a new ham is really serious about this hobby (and I would think that most of you would prefer that type of ham joining the ranks), he's not going to let some old puke stop him.

WD4IGX, WD8ED, AG5WT and 2 others like this.
  2. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Though I'm now at the curmudgeon age, I try to be welcoming to new hams online. Especially to someone asking for advice or help to understand something, provided they are being sincere and not just trolling. There is no age limit for trolls (or fools) unfortunately.

3. N5PAR

N5PAR Ham Member QRZ Page

I’m 68 years old. One of the things that I think keeps me from entering into curmudgeondome is I hang out with younger people. I substitute teach junior high kids a couple of times a week. It is my way to keep track of what’s happening in the real world. It’s a good way to keep myself from yelling at clouds and shouting, “up 5 you idiot,” during DXpositions.

W6RZ, AG5WT and N0TZU like this.
  4. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

What do you call a person who thinks they are entitled to only positive responses to their post? What do you call a person who takes a negative view of those who offer a different take on a topic? What do you call a person who attempts to insult others by name-calling i.e. Curmudgeon? Apparently, they believe the term to be insulting.

As many do understand, the Zed is not ham radio.

WD4IGX, WD8ED and K8PG like this.
  5. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

I am curmudgeon, hear me roar

KA0HCP and WD8ED like this.
  6. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

CAUTION: CURMUDGEONLY RANT AHEAD! THE EASILY OFFENDED SHOULD SKIP THE WALL OF TEXT TO FOLLOW!

Ham radio is not the internet.

It also is not a "profession". By definition, we are in it solely for the love of radio. That's what an amateur is: some one who does what he / she does simply because they like to do it. An amateur is not someone who gets paid or reimbursed for their time.

Amateur radio is also not a business. Treating it like it is a business ruins it.

We are also not utility radio: replacing commercial or public radio systems is not our primary goal, even though we are good during an emergency.

The above are opinions only, but we all have them, right? Opinions that is... Having strong opinions does not make one a curmudgeon.

So back to the original post(s) from the OP. Another fellow who was away from the avocation for a while, comes back and wants to do a make-over on the entire service / hobby / avocation. He is not the first one to come here with big ideas, nor will he be the last. QRZ is not ham radio. We can thank our lucky stars for that! To reiterate: the internet is not ham radio. The OP seems surprised that he has not been universally acclaimed for his ideas. This too, is an internet phenomenon. Just because we agree to disagree does not mean that the OP's ideas lack merit no, rather it means that we've heard this before. Disagreed then and disagree now.

Like it or not, the ham radio demographic is not the "youngsters". It is primarily mature males who like tech stuff, and who can afford a bit of discretionary income to support a hobby. We should be going after the thirty - forty crowd. The young are always attracted to the "new stuff". That has been true since the invention of the wheel. At the beginning of the last century, radio was "new stuff" and it attracted the younger crowd. Just for humor's sake they laughingly called themselves "old men". That custom still remains to this day, when we actually are, for the most part, OM's!

As an official "OM" I realize that ham radio is not very relevant in the twenty-first century. We are a "quaint hobby" done by older folks for our own amusement. We are as relevant as a buggy whip and that's OK. The fact that we come in handy from time to time is great, but it is not now and never has been our primary reason for existence. We do radio because we like it. Can't say that enough.

I will preface my next statement by saying that I have been an ARRL member for over three decades. As a member, I don't always agree with the ARRL, but they are our only true national organization. As such, they have been instrumental in keeping us alive in this country. Now, having said that, I really don't like the fact that they too, are becoming a commercial operation, ran by ex-CEO types who want Amateur Radio to be a money-making proposition. This attitude runs counter to the very fabric of ham radio, and it saddens me to see it.

All these retired captains of industry, with their pages and pages of business resume' come into the hobby and try to get us to read their web pages or watch their videos. I say FOOEY ON THAT! I'm not going to watch your video or read your manifesto. Don't need it or want it.

Go away!

Thanks and 73: Gary
    OF checking out...

WD4IGX, WN1MB, WD8ED and 5 others like this.
  7. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes. If someone will drop out of the hobby because of a little derision on an internet forum, that’s a self esteem problem, not a curmudgeon problem.

WD4IGX, KY5U, WD8ED and 1 other person like this.
  8. NN4RH

What if we drop the license testing, and instead we all hold hands and sing the Love Boat theme song?

WD8ED likes this.
  9. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Wait, what? No.

10. NN4RH

Well, we're supposed to be "nice". What could be nicer than holding hands and singing Love Boat, edited for ham radio of course ?

Ham, exciting and new
    Come aboard, we're expecting you
    Ham, lifes sweetest reward
    Let it flow, it floats back to you
    Ham Radio soon will be making another run
    Ham Radio promises something for everyone
    Set a course for adventure
    Your mind on a new romance
    Ham wont hurt anymore
    Its an open smile on a friendly shore
    Yes Ham…
    Its Ham…
    Ham Radio soon will be making another run
    Ham Radio promises something for everyone
    Set a course for adventure
    Your mind on a new romance
    Ham wont hurt anymore
    Its an open smile on a friendly shore
    Its Ham…
    Its Ham…
    Its Ham…
    Its Ham Radio
    Its Ham Radio

Geez. I feel nicer already. And I am sure the licensee count just went up a notch.

K0UO likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.