What is a Ham Radio Curmudgeon?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KI4CFS, Oct 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KI4CFS

KI4CFS Ham Member QRZ Page

As a Ham that was away for a while, I think Ham Curmudgeon seems to do their part in driving young ham away. If I was a young ham I would give up by the type of Ham Curmudgeon comment on-line. Hams are so much nicer on the airways. Please tell young new Ham that Hams are nicer online they online. I am 60 years old and see a responsibility to be a good mentor, not a Ham Curmudgeon. I believe it is easy and lame to grow old and become a Curmudgeon, the lazy drift of life. If any of you see me being one please call me out! :)

N0TZU likes this.
  2. WD8ED

WD8ED Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It’s not that hams are any different than they used to be. It’s the internet. Everyone has an opinion on everything and they feel the must share them all.

In some ways the OP is attempting something similar. What is the point of the thread? Share an opinion about something he clearly doesn’t understand? To teach old guys a lesson? To shame them? To claim moral superiority? Do you think curmudgeons don’t know who they are? Maybe curmudgeons are actually the ones who see things more clearly? A good curmudgeon doesn’t give a hoot what you have to say about him being a curmudgeon.

Yes, it appears I am a curmudgeon. It’s other people that make me a curmudgeon. Not me ! ;-)

Ed

WD4IGX and KA0HCP like this.
  3. VE3ZYR

VE3ZYR Ham Member QRZ Page

Curmudgeons are beneficial to amateur radio.
    I found this guide for the young curmudgeon in training:
    https://www.wikihow.com/Become-a-Curmudgeon
    Everyone should endeavor to become a master of the curmudgeon ways.

KA0HCP likes this.
  4. W4ZD

W4ZD Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not sure I agree that us old fogies "drive new hams away." I started as a teen in 1966, and there were surely old fogies then. Did they deter me? Not in the slightest. It was a fascinating hobby then, perhaps less so in the age of the computer, the internet, the iPhone, and all the rest of it. The hobby has perhaps less luster than it once did. I don't care, it still matters to me. Things change, that is an axiom.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
    WD4IGX, KA0HCP, K8PG and 2 others like this.
  5. AG5WT

AG5WT Ham Member QRZ Page

What doesn't he understand about it? He made a post about getting more people involved with ham radio, which I would have expected to have been a positive topic. Instead it was met with 14 pages of criticism. I've been here for less than a week. I've grown up on the internet, built my first PC in 1995 at age 14, been a part of hundreds of forums and have never seen one so full of bitter, resentful people. It's sad and pathetic. He's right that people are nicer on the air. And nicer in person as well. My father taught me to respect someone until they lost the right for it. Being disrespectful to someone for no reason was a certain encounter with his leather belt. Maybe some of you needed more lessons in respect, or maybe the lesson was lost on you.

WI7H, N0TZU and WZ7U like this.
  6. W4ZD

W4ZD Ham Member QRZ Page

If it offends you, leave. Discourse is not always "Yeah, Yeah, Yeah." :rolleyes:

7. AG5WT

AG5WT Ham Member QRZ Page

You wish I was offended. Discourse is not always yeah, yeah, yeah? What does that even mean? Discourse can be civil. You don't have to be a cretin about absolutely everything.

G8ADD and WZ7U like this.
  8. W4ZD

W4ZD Ham Member QRZ Page

Let us not argue, though that would surely qualify as discourse. :p Let us simply agree to disagree. :)

9. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

Young hams? How many young hams are there? In 2004 I suggested that test examiners hand out an ARRL postcard to new licensees asking for their age, and what they hoped to get out of amateur radio. The ARRL said it would be too expensive although they sent out two mailings a year asking for donations. Then they asked who would tally the results and I volunteered the services of our ARRL club to do it. They said no they would need to keep control at HQ. You get the picture.

So I challenge your statement such that without stats, it's just another ham mantra.

BTW, I went to a hamfest in Monroe, La and met a guy maybe 60 or less dressed in bibbed overalls, with a beard and smoking a pipe who introduced himself as a ham curmudgeon. I had to laugh... Why would someone TRY to dress out of central casting as a curmudgeon and be proud of it.

N5PAR and K8AI like this.
  10. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

"wet bottoms" were those hams with "WA" or "WB" 2x3 callsigns.

W1TRY and KA0HCP like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.