What is a Drake L4B worth that has no power supply?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by K8CCA, Apr 9, 2021.

ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: l-BCInc
  1. K8CCA

K8CCA Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a line on some Drake equipment that they want to sell as a package, and one of the items is an L4B, but they don't have the external power supply. Of they think it's worth a bunch, he even mentioned a dollar a watt, to which I replied, ok, let's measure how many watts come out and I will pay that much o_O. To which he said "well all you gotta do is get a power supply" to which I said, well they don't grow on trees and I have never even seen one for sale.....

So, I am guessing there is some value for parts, although the tubes are unknown at this point, so there is that. I already have an L4B that is fully modernized and working great, so I don't really need another one, so I will just try to pass this one on if I get it, so I was wondering what a fair price might be. There are some other equipment in the lot that I want, so I need to make a fair offer for it all, which I have a pretty good idea on, but not on a useless amp that can't be used. Thanks for your thoughts and opinions in advance!
    Eric
    K8CCA

2. AG5CK

AG5CK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I wouldn't pay more that $350 if it has good tubes. If he can't prove they are good then no more than $200.

The transformer for an Ameritron AL82 was over $400 the last time I looked. Then you have a L4B with homemade power supply that's still not worth as much as a complete unit.

3. NG1H

NG1H XML Subscriber QRZ Page

From a quick search a complete system sells in the $600 - $800 range. There's a power supply for sale on ebay for $450. That gives a range of $150 - $350 for the amp alone. Looks like AG5CK nailed the recommended prices.

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree, and you don't often see the power supplies selling on their own.

Without the L4PS or "equivalent," the seller can't even test the RF deck to verify it actually works. Value might be "parts" only.

5. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I'd walk away - find a different seller. Sounds like he'd rather keep the gear than get a realistic sale price.... Not a very flexible attitude....

At least, that's how I'd handle it were it me

Dave
    W7UUU

WG7X likes this.
  6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe a non-ham seller?

Nobody who actually uses amps routinely in the ham bands would think an L-4B is worth "a dollar a watt" ($1000?) even with the power supply.:)

7. W1BR

W1BR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

SB-220 amps have been selling for obscene prices on ebay. I' d take that Drake sans PS but then again building a supply is not that much of a challenge.

8. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know what they are worth where you are..... but $1k for a non-functional amp seems a bit steep. My estimation of it's value if you can't even test the tubes is closer to zero than it is $1 per watt! It looks to me like that guy is trying to take advantage of your youthful enthusiasm. :D

9. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

That's my guess.... "My dad was a ham back in the 70s so I really know what this stuff is worth" - that sort thing.

Dave
    W7UUU

10. NG1H

NG1H XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Good possibility, except the seller appears to know that it is missing the power supply. Heck, there are hams who wouldn't know that.

I've got one and the PS would be pretty easy to build. It is just a transformer ($300-400 as a WAG), the DC circuitry (about $100 from Harbach), and a box to put it in. Even if you had to buy all the parts you are looking at under $600. But just like having the original box and manual most people judge a DIY supply a significant price factor. In this case almost worthless. So for the seller, well, he/she basically has a collection of parts. If the buyer really wants a L4B it is probably a good deal priced correctly if they want to just use it. Selling it later on? Good luck.

Personally I think that the seller is less ignorant and more just trying to bump up the price.