What Inspired You Or Lit Your Fire To Learn Morse Code?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by N8AFT, May 30, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
  1. AF6CO

AF6CO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Took electronics classes in high school. The teacher was a ham and set up a club station in the classroom.

2. KJ4RT

KJ4RT Ham Member QRZ Page

When I got my ticket it was required. As far as I am concerned it should still be a requirement.

N8AFT likes this.
  3. W4AUT

W4AUT Ham Member QRZ Page

Enjoyed reading your page Lane! (N8AFT)

N8AFT likes this.
  4. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

HEY STEVE!
    LOVE THE WW2 MIL GEAR IN YER SHACK...

5. N8AFT

VY COOL... wish there was more of that these days besides only training students to pass the yr end "test"...

6. W4AUT

W4AUT Ham Member QRZ Page

Thankyou, restored the two BC 348's, took almost a year locating the parts. Very proud of them!! 73's

7. K5MIL

K5MIL Ham Member QRZ Page

08-08-2019
    My wife and I and two 14 year-old grandchildren, (twins) just got back from a cruse to Alaska and I ran into a coincidence that was a one in a million concerning amateur radio.

Back to the 1980's:
    In the 1980's I used to talk to a ham operator, a one Robert Savory (FO0RS), on an island in French Polynesia. This was a privately owned island and Bob, who was a U.S. citizen, worked for the owner as a caretaker, and general all-around maintenance guy. One of his duties was maintaining the owner's ham radio station. He could not tell me who the owner was, but said I would certainly know him because he was a celebrity in the U.S. I quickly surmised that it was Marlin Brando he was referring to. We had numerous contacts over a period of about a year or so.

Back to the present:
    One evening on the cruse ship, we were in one of the dining rooms and sitting just next to us was another couple who were talking to two of the wait staff about where they were from, both were from Europe. I noticed that the woman looked possibly be Polynesian and her husband looked to be Caucasian. They were were from Tahiti and were trying to explain to the two waiters where Tahiti was, as they had no clue.

When the two waiters left, the woman looked over at our two grandchildren and said, "Do you know where Tahiti is?" Since the children go to a charter school that actually teaches Geography, they knew quite a bit about Tahiti which really impressed this woman. I even mentioned that they knew about Pitcairn Island where Fletcher Christian had settled with his crew after their mutiny and that I used to talk occasionally to Tom Christan (VR6TC) who was a grandson descendant of Fletcher Christian.

The woman said that she had visited Pitcairn and this brought up the movie "Mutiny On The Bounty" staring Marlon Brando. I then mentioned the contacts I had with the caretaker on Brando's island. She then got very excited and said, "You mean you talked to Bob Savery?" Come to find out, she had worked for Brando on his island as a secretary/gopher and knew Bob (Brando called him "Dirty old Bob") very well and even kept up with him until he passed away after he returned to California. The woman was Hawaiian, being born and raised there and her husband was born of Caucasian parents and raised in Tahiti.

Never would I have imagined back in the 1980's that I would meet someone today that knew Bob Savory and Brando.

Brando spent a lot of time on his island and in Tahiti because there he was just another guy instead of a celebrity and that was a reason he like amateur radio, because of the anonymity.

Bill - K5MIL

N8AFT likes this.
  8. N8AFT

TNX OM Bill for that GREAT true story!

9. K5TSK

K5TSK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Memory getting blurry when I go very far back, but I think it was when I was a young child of 4 years. I had been curious about what was in that electrical thing on the wall that made mom's mixer work. Decided to plug in a fork.
    Truly saw the light and I think for a brief moment I channeled the old spark gap transmissions before the lights went out. Have never been quite the same. Ever since I've had an affinity for cw.

N7BKV, KJ7GFW and N8AFT like this.
  10. N8AFT

QUITE SHOCKING! :p