What Inspired You Or Lit Your Fire To Learn Morse Code?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by N8AFT, May 30, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

1958 in the 8th grade at Eppler Jr High in Utica, MI. Had a science teacher who was a ham and he quickly had 4 nerdy kids in a special "study hall" room who competed against each other with (2 for a $1) J-38 keys from Silverstein's. The slowest of the 4 (never mind which one) banged out 16 WPM at the FCC office in Detroit for our Novice tests. All 4 aced the written because we were, well, nerds and we had a great teacher.

KF5KWO, N7BKV and N8AFT like this.
  2. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Summer camp at about 10 years of age when an older camper with his General ticket brought his Heath SB-102 to camp and managed to get use of a small shack that the camp had bought used from the '64 worlds fair. He got about four of us interested that year and the following summer we were licensed and recruited another three or four to work our first field day from that cedar shack. To this day, the smell of cedar reminds me of radio and good times.

My fourth and final summer there we had a handful of licensed hams with most of us holding General or Advanced tickets and several rigs on the air. I don't remember explicitly getting excited about learning code, it was just part of the whole thing and part of getting on the air. I do remember a kid only a couple of years older (and a lifelong friend WB2EMR) elmering all of us and teaching some fundamental circuit and system theory that I still teach to others to this day.

3. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I had to learn it to get a ham ticket.

4. K8AI

K8AI Ham Member QRZ Page

I also had to learn it to pass the Novice exam. At the time, I thought I'd just learn it enough to pass the exam and upgrade to Advanced and then drop it for fone but while I was QSO'ing to get my speed up to 13 wpm, I ended up actually liking the mode and now it's my preferred mode.

5. K5UNX

K5UNX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am learning CW currently. I have been a licensed ham since the no-code tech license was available. Got that ticket in '95. Joined a club in 2012 and got my Gen and Extra. Just recently, 2016 decided to work on CW. Went quiet for a couple years and just started the CW learning again a couple months ago. Why? Several reasons. In 2014-2016 I worked a lot of JT65/9 and got ARRL WAS for digital and JT65. Then grew bored of the JT modes and pretty much feel the same way about FT8. I have several hundred logged contacts for those modes, but I am tired of adding lines to the log that say I contacted someone, when we can't even send our name. So for me, while I will occasionally make a couple FT8 contacts, I find it boring. PSK31 seems dead due to FT8 also. There are several old timers in our club that can operate CW very very well, and I am amazed listening to them Field Day. They run about 30-40 wpm. I can away from that a couple years ago interested in trying it out. Now that I am actually learning CW, I am really enjoying it.

I work in the computer field. Use linux all day long for work, systems admin, architecture etc. CW is a nice departure from sitting in front of a computer . . . yea I log with the computer but that's different that digital modes.

PY2RAF and W5BIB like this.
  6. W4AUT

W4AUT Ham Member QRZ Page

1959 neighborhood ELMER would let us hang-out inside his garage SHACK, and that's where it all begin! Novice in 1960 (WN4AUT).
    Then I joined the Navy on my 17th birthday, after Boot Camp, off to Bainbridge, Md, Navy Radioman School. Has been a great experience, interesting hobby. Young people today have been raised in a confined Tech connected society, I believe they are missing the personnel human relations, that are so important for future generations. But, having said that, I believe that they will pave a better world (I hope).

7. DL4QB

DL4QB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

When I was about 6-7 years old (about 1977-78), my parents listened to a broadcast exactly at Christmas evening, where on SW greetings were sent to ships all over the world by the relatives (AM or SSB). The normal radio listener could listen in and/or it was even transmitted on UKW. A little later I got a lot of interest in what can still be heard on SW. I listened on the SW band and of course I heard a lot of CW signals and thought to myself...what they probably communicate.... Afterwards came some time 11 m band and there also key moment, where I had a connection to New York, about 10 min in very best quality in FM. In the 80s.

The awakened my interest to do more than just 11m.
    Well, later the HAM license was added, but without SW. I made up for that. CW was necessary. Unfortunately I quit CW after the exam.

Now after about 13 years break in amateur radio I said to myself, come on...CW, you can do that too. Since 2 / 2019 I got in again with a _lot_ of practice and meanwhile also a lot of fun on SW with CW. I prefer it at the moment after about 350 QSOs in CW. It simply makes me very happy and I look forward to it every day after work. No matter if there are 2 or 5 QSOs and some more on the weekend :)

Like the usual QSO conversation not contest. So, if there is contest i´m on WARC :)

So, cu in CW - .. -

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
  8. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

20 wpm was required for full amateur privileges, and I wanted full amateur privileges. That's about all there was to it.

I like the mode.

9. AF6CO

AF6CO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It was required to get a license

10. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

So, With that said Steve, I guess the next question is; What/Who Inspired You To Become A Ham Then ??