What Inspired You Or Lit Your Fire To Learn Morse Code?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by N8AFT, May 30, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. NE1U

NE1U Ham Member QRZ Page

I had little inspiration to learn CW. In the day, it was a requirement. My mentor was blind ~3yrs older & I was 13 still doing what I was told more or less.

I did get my speed over 20 wpm when I was 22 & looking to go for the Extra at the Fed building in Chicago. I had to transfer due to a down turn in the economy and they all passed. Now, decades later and being the ubiquitous RipVanHam (as many) I have concluded that CW is the best digital mode for me.

If I want to contest, there are all sorts of quickly tools to make the repetitious as automatic as I want AND as I get tired that can be upped. When I want QSO mode, I can speed up or slow down talking about whatever for as long as I want. Canned responses can still be used. As a kid I use to get up at 3 or 4 AM and could catch JA-land most of the time from 9-land. Back to bed for a nap & before mom could catch me up. So much fun to go to school and mention to a teacher or 2 that I talked to a new friend in Japan that morning before school.

So much fun

W5BIB likes this.
  2. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

yeah, that happens... i was licensed at 13, got extra at 14, then my activity petered out as I played school sports, partied, went to college, got married, got a job, etc. I had a few periods of activity here and there but didnt get back into it until 3 years ago, 20+ years later. Still love CW though!

3. W5KCC

W5KCC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I originally had to do CW for a merit badge in the Boy Scouts to get my Life rating. Somehow it always lurked in the back of my mind... I always remembered the letters "A" and "B" for some strange reason.
    Would tap them out on my steering wheel when I would drive, sometimes. Drove the former wife nuts... LOL!
    Now that I got my Technician in April 2019 and my General in May 2019 I'll be doing the CWops Level 1 class in the fall. IF I get to 20 WPM I'll consider myself quite fortunate. I know it will take tons of practice, practice and more practice.

N8AFT and K7III like this.
  4. OZ1BWD

OZ1BWD Ham Member QRZ Page

I found it facinating to listen to even if I didn't understood a thing. I was lit.

KN4ICU, N8AFT and KJ7GFW like this.
  5. KN4ICU

KN4ICU Ham Member QRZ Page

Same here!!!! Just the sound of the conversation was interesting to hear!

6. AB4KA

AB4KA Ham Member QRZ Page

In 1982 during the summer between my junior and senior years in high school my dad gave me an old Hallicrafters S53A receiver. I spent hours listening to anything it would receive. Fast-forward to the summer of 1987 and I decided I wanted to get my ham license. Had the learn the 5wpm to get my novice license, which I did at the Melbourne (FL) hamfest in September of that year. A few months later I passed my "know code" extra and became AB4KA, which I remain.

N8AFT likes this.
  7. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Jim; The s-53 was a great rig for the beginner!
    I had one as an early teen. Had no Elmer but was active SWL and CB bk when it was family oriented.
    Had to wait for no-code testing to get my tickets.
    I learned Morse outta necessity as the sun spots failed and couldn't QSO with my AM and SSB pals easily. But the CW guys were still havin easy fun so I decided to get with it and learn!
    Glad I did.
    Back when I started listening to CW hams on my S-53 I could pick out the K at the end of the exchanges and the R at the replies.
    I still stick with using those two letters vs BK or BTU as THE correct way to op. I'm a reverent old school method type of op here.
    Hope we QSO soon OM!

Learn Morse.
    Do CW.

N7BKV and AB4KA like this.
  8. K6JJR

K6JJR Ham Member QRZ Page

Learning Morse was mandatory for my Novice license in the 60s. W1AW was all over our AM radios as they were five miles away. I still enjoy CW and gave up on SSB lids a long time ago.

9. VK4HAT

VK4HAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I failed morse 3 times back in the late 90's when i tried to gain a novice license. Morse was boring and as a 20 something year old with a young family I did not really have the time to focus on it enough to pass. Fast forward to now, my kids have all left the house and I have much more time to dedicate to more "obscure" aspects of the hobby. I think, its my duty as a ham to keep old skills alive. I want from my hobby a challenge, not instant gratification. So I do morse, I homebrew, i set goals that might take many years to achieve, goals that are difficult. As far as my morse skills go, i am not worth spit, I can copy your call and report and not much more and I have been at it for 4 odd years. But I keep at it, I use it as often as I can, particularly so when out portable doing WWFF.

10. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

You're doing well Rob! Keep up the good work, learning Morse isn't all that hard or all that easy...
    I felt like a cheat while doing phone modes as a no-code general til I learned Morse. So QSL on duty!
    Morse being a man's last name name is capitalized BTW...
    Welcome aboard and VY 73 OM...

Learn Morse.
    Do CW.

N7BKV and VK4HAT like this.