What Inspired You Or Lit Your Fire To Learn Morse Code?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by N8AFT, May 30, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I found this blurb on Mr. Cronkite on Wikipedia's Biography of him:

"He held amateur radio operator license KB2GSD and narrated a 2003 American Radio Relay League documentary explaining amateur radio's role in disaster relief.[68] the video tells Amateur Radio's public service story to non-hams, focusing on ham radio's part in helping various agencies respond to wildfires in the Western US during 2002, ham radio in space and the role Amateur Radio plays in emergency communications. "Dozens of radio amateurs helped the police and fire departments and other emergency services maintain communications in New York, Pennsylvania and Washington, DC," narrator Cronkite intoned in reference to ham radio's response to the terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001. Unusually, Cronkite was a Novice-class licensee—the entry level license—for his entire, and long, tenure in the hobby.[citation needed]"

MARLIN BRANDO (Also from Wikipedia Biography)

"Brando was an active ham radio operator, with the call signs KE6PZH and FO5GJ (the latter from his island). He was listed in the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) records as Martin Brandeaux to preserve his privacy.[104][105]"

//Look-Up the callsign FO5GJ here on QRZ// (kinda interesting)

It seems I remember that ARTHUR GODFRY was a ham, but, I can't find any info.

dit dit

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  2. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

N8AFT likes this.
  3. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

I was a TECHNICIAN from 1969 til 1980. I had risen in standings in the ARC of El Cajon and wanted to advance to the office of President. At the time, they had it in the bylaws that you had to be a General or above to hold that postion. So I buckled down and began to work at building my code proficiency. It was a BEAR!! I would spend every evening working stations on the 40 and 15M bands until I finally was up to around 13 WPM. At the time, you had to take the test at the FCC office. So I would go down frequently and take the test. I would always take the 20WPM Extra test first, which I woujd fail miserably, but atleast it made the 13 sound slow.

they had a terrible CW system at the FCC Office. It was played through a loudspeaker and the room echoed terribly. It was not Farnsworth either. Each letter was painfully slow with little space between letters. You had to get 125 letters correct in a row to pass. as Soon as the CW ended,the examiner would rush in and collect the papers giving only milleseconds to fill in any errors. I observed where the tests were collected last so in future times I would have atleast a second or 2 to make the corrections. I would go in EIGHT TIMES!!

On the Eighth time, I took the 20 As usual and failed as usual. They had a cute office girl named June who was attractively dresssed that I focused my attention on as I took the 13 WPM test. I figured I would fail as happened the past 7 times. It was getting to be routine. As I watched her I copied the code and wrote it down. As the test ended, I again had only a Second or two to fill in the missing characters. I maybe found one or 2 I could insert before my paper was collected.

The FCC Engineer was named Clarence Spellman. I just about died on the spot when He told me I had passed this time. I can't remember a moment in my life where I was so EXHILARATED!!!!!!
    I had conquered MT EVEREST!!!!!

I took the General written which I easily passed and then opted to take the Advanced, which I had not studied for at all. I passed that easily too. Badk then there were NO Question Pools, only the ARRL License manual to study, So that day, in 1979 I passed my code, the milestone of my life!!

I won the Club Presidency and served in 1980, my ultimate goal in life! From there I would go on to become an ARRL Section Manager for the San Diego Section.

I never even came close on the 20 WPM, so the EXTRA was an unobtainable goal. I had no SHORT TERM MEMORY which is required to pass the 20.

Then the FCC did away with the code tests and all these folks were getting Extras who didn't knwo a DOT from a DASH!!!

in the 90s, I decided I needed the EXTRA segments of the DX bands to get more DXCC Countries, so I passed the Extra easily. IN fact it was TOO EASY!!!

I still marvel at these GENIUS's who can zip along at 35WPM, when I can just barely do 15! But I knew enough code to get my CW DXCC!

N8AFT and KA2CZU like this.
  4. K7KBN

K7KBN Ham Member QRZ Page

King Hussein's call sign was simply JY1. It's GOOD to be the king!

5. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

I REMEMBER GODFRY RIDING HIS WHITE HORSE AT THE OHIO STATE FAIR IN THE 60'S.

6. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

my first rig, FT101EE had a busted mic jack so I could only use CW :) it just kinda stuck...

today, i think there is some feeling of fraternity but most of it has to do with ease of use. I like contesting and DX and there are troubled users of CW but it's easy to ignore - poor operators on SBB (using silly phonetics, talking wayyyy toooo sloooow, etc) irritates me way too much :)

N8AFT likes this.
  7. N8AFT

I have red plastic caps covering the mic inputs on my transceivers...
    QSL on those SSB bubbas...

8. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Boredom. I was 13 and had nothing better to do that summer (1974).

Learned about ham radio in October and passed my Novice in December.

Dave
    W7UUU

N8AFT likes this.
  9. N8AFT

Way to go Dave!
    Radio got to you b4 the girls did then... :p
    I graduated HS in '74.

10. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Haha!! Well, fortunately I passed my General the next summer - and oh boy! the girls got to me then!! (or maybe other way 'round!) :D:D But I had General accomplished so plenty of time to get back to radio in later years LOL!

Dave
    W7UUU