What Inspired You Or Lit Your Fire To Learn Morse Code?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by N8AFT, May 30, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N7KO

N7KO Ham Member QRZ Page

You will notice is said (The majority of them anyway ), as far as Barry Goldwater, he was at the MARS station and patched a Radio call from Vietnam , It was my brother that was in Di'nang, not sure how it is spelled.
    God Bless Barry and the rest of the MARS group that volunteer'd there time during the wars to make it possible for Mothers and Fathers to hear there Son's voice. It sure meant alot to my Mother.

Yes there were some famous people that used code, but they were few, I am proud to be among all the ones that know code, the famous, the poor, the ones that served our country, the Men and Women that sent messages from behind enemy lines. And people like you, all of the ones that thought well enough about code that they spent many hours learning this strange language.

You may not feel the way I do, because I am fairly new to code, most likely could not keep up with your code speed, I have alot to learn, I have not got my speed up to where I think it should be, but I keep copying the code day after day and I get a little better every week. 73, my friend.

W5BIB, N8AFT and WB5YUZ like this.
  2. KE6EE

KE6EE Ham Member QRZ Page

Most of our 20th Century enemies, too, used code ops. Have folks not seen or heard of Junker keys? Japanese keys? Chinese keys? USSR keys? Cold and hot wars included.

There's an interesting published account of Lincoln's time during the Civil War hanging out in the official telegraph room writing
    speeches and awaiting news from the fronts. Not that Jefferson Davis and R.E. Lee did not also make use of code. Which makes
    me think whether we are still fighting the Civil War, not with code but with the internet and cellphones.

Not all ham celebrities were monarchs or right-wingers. I think Walter Cronkite was hammy as was Marlon Brando. Whether or not Brigitte Bardot or Marilyn Monroe were hams, in the code sense, belongs in an area unknown to me.

By the way, code is not really a language, but a CODE, a way of signifying a language. The language of radio is largely English, with
    specialized radio jargon and shortcuts. Letters of the Roman alphabet (Latin) are signified in code using dits and dahs. Fortunately we haven't been doing our calculations using Roman numerals. We wisely adopted our number system from those mathematical geniuses
    the Arabs.

W5BIB, N7KO and WB5YUZ like this.
  3. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Damn. I had forgotten about Brando. Never worked him, either.:)

4. N7KO

N7KO Ham Member QRZ Page

My hat is off to you sir, well said. I knew about Walter Cronkite, but I did not know that Brando was a Ham. Did Cronkite work with CW code ? I learn something every day, and today I have learned this would have been a better time to have kept my mouth shut. 73, everyone

5. N8TGQ

N8TGQ Ham Member QRZ Page

My dad was a ham back in the '60's and I wanted my license in the worst way! I worked and studied the code with anyone that would put up with me but never could get it. Problem was I learned it looking at the dots and dashes on paper which added an extra conversion step to my copying.
    I never did get my license until the no code tech started. They were still giving the code portion when I tested but you didnt have to do that part if you didnt want to. They persuaded me to at least try since I was already there. I hadnt even thought about morse code for at least 10 years before that, but danged if I didnt pass the 5 WPM with 1 minute solid copy. I was a Tech plus! Now CW is the only mode I use on HF.
    The only thing I regret is my dad had passed away years before so I never got share it with him.

Have fun!
    N8TGQ

N0NB and N8AFT like this.
  6. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

Pretty sure Cronkite was a lifelong Novice back when you were not required to upgrade. (?)
    I'm sure someone knows for sure about this so please advise... TNX.

We Learn Morse.
    We Do CW.

N7KO likes this.
  7. K5DH

K5DH Ham Member QRZ Page

Had to learn Morse to get my Novice ticket. Loved it since Day One, and still my "main squeeze" in ham radio.

K4RT and KC7JNJ like this.
  8. N5CM

N5CM Ham Member QRZ Page

My dad was a ham, and he got me interested. I was 28 at the time. I started listening to ARRL 5 wpm code tapes and studying for my Novice License. I got my Novice ticket a few months later. Back in those days, you operated CW or not at all. I got my 13 wpm General ticket around a year later. Was QRT for around 10 years, but kept my license up to date. Back on the air in February 2018. Got my Extra class ticket in December 2018.

I still operate mostly CW. I can do pretty well in contests, but I'm a lot slower in rag chews.

9. KT0G

KT0G Ham Member QRZ Page

I wanted to justify buying a high end transceiver. I would estimate I utilize somewhere in the range of 15% of a transceivers capabilities in SSB mode, over 90% in CW mode.

10. KD7ICW

KD7ICW Ham Member QRZ Page

I've had a lifelong interest in radio but am just now getting things started.

I studied Morse code for a short while back in my Jr. High days thinking that I was going to get licensed but I never was able to follow through with it.

Years later, I was picking my son up from his friends house, I heard Morse code coming from a beautiful radio sitting on a desk there inside.

The Dad introduced himself and I remember just being floored that he could copy everything I was hearing. It brought back a lot of memories and rekindled my interest in CW but then life got in the way of things again.

Years later, on another forum, a guy was sharing about Ham radio and once again that fire was lit.

After a few more bumps in life, things have finally settled down and now I am able to pursue this noble hobby.

I recieved my technicians license April 30 2019 and am studying for the general.

I'm only between 3 and 5 WPM copying ability at this time but I really love everything about CW and am inspired to improve.

N0NB, N8AFT and W5BIB like this.