What Inspired You Or Lit Your Fire To Learn Morse Code?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by N8AFT, May 30, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Very simple answer for me. It was required, everybody did it, no big deal. How long did it take? Just a little bit less than four decades. At least, that's what it felt like. Actually maybe a month(?) to be 'comfortable' on the air, sort of. That was in the Novice portion, not the Extra!
    If I'm away from it for a while I don't have to start learning from scratch, but changing gears into the CW mind-set can take a while, you know? When I get tot he point where I start critiquing someone's fist, I know I'm 'back'. When I start critiquing my own fist, I know it's time to take a break again.

WW2PT likes this.
  2. AG4XF

AG4XF Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

1. Hello to All, First heard code From the Radio Station owner ff KALT radio in Atlana Texas in the 1960s. I use to listen to him talk from his shack at home. Many years later,1986 I had went to trade school and went to work for RCA Astro Space Division in Princeton NJ. The company had a RCA Radio Club with an Air Conditioned Trailer a huge commercial reciever and a 3 element beam. I made friends with Mr. Charley Hassel who was retired and always at the trailer. He was a great guy and I will Always remember him. I bought the Radio Shack CW Learning Tapes ant finally got above 5 words a minute. Charley gave me my novice code test and I passed !!! I bought a used Heathkit HW 50 Radio. Put up a dipole in th attic of My Apt. was so nervous to make my first contact. I haven't done code for years now but I am getting caught up and will be on the key soon.

WW2PT likes this.
  3. VE7PJR

VE7PJR Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, it was required in 1977. I wanted to get on the air! Like most Novices I knew, we started with whatever old cruddy straight key we could scrounge up. Then we all got keyers so we could send 35 wpm at each other. "At" each other because we could only copy about 10 wpm. [grin] Then I wised up and got a bug (which I still have).

One night I was on 80m and heard this really weird beeping in a strange cadence. Sounded like code but the letters I recognized didn't seem to be in the right places. Then the sender dropped into Continental and I got his call -- and some other stn pops up hammering away in that strange code again. So I pulled out the Callbook, looked him up, and sent him a letter. (When was the last time you did that?)

Turns out I'd stumbled into a nest of old railroad telegraphers, using simple interfaces to turn audio into pulses to drive a telegraph sounder. I was hooked all over; HAD to learn this other code. Forty years later I'm no speed demon, but I still have fun. Just finished a QSO on 40 with a guy in PA; heard a Brazilian up on 30 but the band was on the way out at 2300Z and I couldn't make the lift.

The key I used tonight is my old Nye Deluxe that Mom got me for the first Christmas after I got licenced. I had to be off the air for a few months while repairing the antenna system and adding to the ground. Didn't feel like stretching too much, so kept my busy fingers off the Vertaplex this evening.

Chuck VE7PJR/WB7PJR/Wire Sine CH

M6GYU likes this.