What happens when the infrastructure fails?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W2BLC, May 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KD9HLC

KD9HLC Ham Member QRZ Page

If anvils were made of irony, it would be raining Acme.

N2NH and WN1MB like this.
  2. K4KWH

K4KWH Ham Member QRZ Page

That should worry savvy ES planners. We have become so dependent on infrastructure, and it's been so long since we've been without, it that I wonder what will REALLY happen when, not only the public, but the ES folks have no power, no access to an internet. Will THEY be prepared? Will THEY have backups? I wonder.

HF, in many circles, is regarded as just a noisy anachronism, an ancient relic of radio past. But it IS what we would be faced with if we lose all this "stuff" we depend on (TOO much)! Not ONLY the internet, but a lot of local 2M amateur, VHF commercial repeaters would go down. *Some* have generators, some do not. Some are in remote locations where, if they DO have a genset, if they go down (lack of fuel, etc), it is difficult to get to them. Sometimes due to natural disasters, you can't get to 'em anyhow due to flood, fire, trees down, etc. Its a shame that our now complacent people don't realize this.:(

N2NH likes this.
  3. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

No noisy generator here but, the rig is still powered when commercial power drops. :)

4. KP4SX

KP4SX Subscriber QRZ Page

My thoughts exactly. And that describes much about what happened here in PR.
    I dreamed up a scheme where each of our 78 jurisdictions would have a SIMPLE radio setup that anybody could learn to use in safekeeping to be brought out and installed after the event. For many days after the hurricane a number of jurisdictions were completely out of touch with any central authority. Their only contact with the outside world was to send a messenger or representative to WAPA radio station which miraculously stayed on the air. Getting to WAPA was chore enough with blocked highways, etc.
    The idea not being simply passing routine H&W messages but more of a Doomsday thing until other services become deployed.

N2NH and K3XR like this.
  5. W1XWX

W1XWX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If a long term power outage happens like PR--- you need a deep cycle battery and a solar cell. You can run almost indefinitely. Add a dual band mobile a pizza pan and a magmount and you are good to go. Again every time this happens nothing works except amateur radio. I really don't care what the telecom folks say they have as backup. Up till NOW their words are just simply BS. PR, Texas, or Florida makes no difference.

Ask your local EMS / EOC if they have ever trained without any electric power and no dispatch console, or repeaters and no cell phones permitted. 99% of the time the answer will be NO.

N2NH likes this.
  6. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Not sure what comms are going to be available without power... we have backup dispatch centers for that.

And amateur radio needs power as well.

Running a major city (or a major island) using a battery and a solar panel is not realistic. Nothing is 100% foolproof, and nobody builds systems for every possible issue that might arise.

N2NH likes this.
  7. W1XWX

W1XWX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If you have not seen this--

W9BFZ and N2NH like this.
  8. KL7FZ

KL7FZ Ham Member QRZ Page

What's a curb? We have berms.

NL7W likes this.
  9. KP4SX

KP4SX Subscriber QRZ Page

After the hurricane it remained very cloudy and rainy for weeks. Gotta plan for that too!

10. N2NH

N2NH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Excellent video and yes, a lot of EmComms are fairly hostile to Amateur Radio. I don't know if that's from overzealous hams or from ignorance, but neither should color the idea that any form of communication can be an asset in an emergency. I doubt if most have ever had to deal with anything really big. Lose electricity and there is no internet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.