ad: UR5CDX-1

What Happened to the Phonetic Alphabet?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by Guest, Dec 19, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KK7UO

KK7UO Ham Member QRZ Page

The phonetic alphabet as adopted by the ITU is alive and well. There are times though, when conditions don't support understanding of Kilo Kilo 7 Uniform Oscar. After the first or second try I will try again with Kilowatt Kilowatt 7 United Ontario. The reason being that the sharp "I" and "O" in Kilowatt, coupled with the pronounced "U" and "I" in United, and "O" and "I" in Ontario seem to cut through the noise level or other hash.

Hugh - KK7UO - Kilo Kilo Seven Uniform Oscar

2. KC8PMX

KC8PMX QRZ Member

I am involved in Law Enforcement and also a Volunteer Firefighter, and am required to use the APCO version of the phonetic alphabet. As a ham I am required to use the ITU alphabet. Can you imagine how confusing that can get at times? I am frequently crossing over in both directions when I am on either radio system. My call in APCO would be something like KING CHARLES 8 PAUL MIKE X-RAY, as well as KILO CHARLIE 8 PAPA MIKE X-RAY in the ITU alphabet.

I don't work DX, as I currently own only VHF/UHF gear due to finances, so, on a locally-based sense, what is wrong with using a mix of the both forms of the alphabet, as long as the message is made clear. There have been many occaisions where the APCO alphabet got through quicker than the ITU alphabet on a repeater none the less.

I however DO NOT participate in "funny" phonetics, as I can't seem to come up with one for mine. Any ideas? Anyways, a wonderful New Years is my hope for all!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.