ad: UR5CDX-1

What Happened to the Phonetic Alphabet?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by Guest, Dec 19, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. n7ah

n7ah Ham Member QRZ Page

This thread is becoming quite amusing so I thought I would spit out my two bits worth. I have a hard time in contests with November Seven Alpha Hotel. It seems like foreigners never get it right, calling me Oscar Hotel instead of Alpha Hotel. One way I have gotten around it is to use the phonetics of Ninety Seven Agonizing Hemoroids! However I use it on VHF only. Been chicken to use it on HF. HI! Curt, N7AH

2. n7ah

n7ah Ham Member QRZ Page

Heaeing this word on two meters makes me want to puke! Lucky it hasn't caught on with HF yet! Curt, N7AH

3. K5CWO

K5CWO Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree with your assessment on the poor radio technic's used by many ham opertors. My personal observation is that most of hams that are using "personal phonetics" are the same ham operators that complain about the lowering of standards to achieve General and Extra class licenses, usually implying that a lower class of individual is gaining access to the less crowded portions of the bands. These same people are more likely to use unusual phonetics when identifying their callsign. When asked to use the proper phonetics many respond by saying "I got my license long before you did, long before the phonetic alphabet was created". You will never convince the hams that like to use "personal phonetics" that they are contributing to the very problem they complain about.

4. WA4MJF

WA4MJF Banned QRZ Page

I doubt there are many hams still active that
    got their license before phonetic alphabets were created. I know of the use of phonetics
    in the 1930s and maybe before!
    Lotsa folks will make outrageous statements
    like that, thinkin' no one is gonna call them on it! I always do, whether in poker or whatever.

HAPPY HOLIDAZE!

73 de Ronnie

5. K6VB

K6VB Ham Member QRZ Page

Ahhhhhhh - all of this controversy on phonetics is hurting my "virgin" ears. Can't there be a discussion on a less controversial subject like Code vs No-Code? =)

Jim K6VB

6. VA2GK

VA2GK Ham Member QRZ Page

I always use first " VICTOR ECHO TWO NOVEMBER SIERRA MIKE" but when I'm asked for a repeat I'll switch to "NANCY SUGAR MEXICO", works every time.
    I don't see what's wrong with that. Some folks do however, use strange combinations that are absolutely impossible to discern and/or words knowed by themselves only. One case i do remember from a spanish speaking op. who was using YELLOW in his suffix and it was sounding real bad because his accent made it sound like JELLO! When i tried to confirm his call with YANKEE he kept on repeating "no no JELLO JELLO!!!"...lost cause... with respect to the OSCAR, some folks said it was often confused with ALPHA, accent again, I don't know from what part of the US but some times it turns out to be ASKER witch could cause confusion if the receiving end concentrates on the first syllable. I think the best way is to experiment and to have open mind, isn't what this Hobby is all about??? 73 de VICTOR ECHO TWO NO STUPID MONKEY...

7. NF8W

NF8W Ham Member QRZ Page

I have noticed the same thing in Amateur Radio. Among many, there is no pride about being a ham. I worked hard for my license and I am proud of it and of what I can do. I am serious about public service and training for emergency work. Let's keep the pride and do things right!

Kilo Charlie Eight Romeo November November

8. W5QAP

W5QAP Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree - and that last sentence is great! I normally have to have someone repeat if they use non-standard, but that's because I've trained myself to hear the standardized phonetics.

9. n7ah

n7ah Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Jim. Well we can always cuss and discuss posting entries in all capitol letters! Have a nice holiday season. Curt, N7AH

10. n7ah

n7ah Ham Member QRZ Page

Right on! Using phonetics on a FM repeater is really inane. About the same as calling CQ or QRZ on the repeater, but who in their right mind uses Q signals on phone? I think it is to impress the listeners that he can spell. Kinda reminds me of someone trying to impress people by calling out all the words phonetically when it is not needed. But then again, what would these forums be like if we all didn't have things to piss and moan about? Happy holidays from N7AH

11. N2RJ

N2RJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Others I hate are:

"Clear" (what happened to "bye bye" or "see you later"?)

"Affirmative" and "Negative" (What ever happened to "yes" or "no"?)

"Roger that" or "QSL" (What ever happened to "That's correct"?)

But what has me scratching my head is that the hams/CB'ers waging the "jihad" against morse code are the same ones heavily using Q codes and abbreviations designed for CW.

As I always say, speak English not Radioese.

12. WA4MJF

WA4MJF Banned QRZ Page

I see a lot about some hams not understanding words such as Oscar, now, I guess all y'all know that
    many of the ICAO phonetics are not pronounced as
    in ordinary conversation.

Some that hae been listed in posts as confusin'
    are the ones listed here. The emphasis is
    is on the part in capital letters.

OSCAR is OSS cah
    ALFA is AL fah
    QUEBEC is keh BECK
    SIERRA is see AIR rah

Maybe it is the mis pronunciation that is causing the problems???

HAPPY HOLIDAZE!

73 de Ronnie

13. WA7KPK

WA7KPK Ham Member QRZ Page

Try checking into a repeater net when your signal is scratchy and you have a name like "Creede." All of the sudden "Charlie romeo echo echo delta echo" makes a lot of sense.

As for using Q signals on phone . . . well, how many of us have said "QTH here is Seattle," or "thanks for the QSO," or "QSY up five" without really thinking about it? And of course, "Please QSL via the bureau!"

73 and happy holidays, Creede

14. N8UZE

N8UZE Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree that sometimes deviations are indeed needed.

The "standard" phonetic alphabet is alive and well. I hear it used frequently. "Cute" phonetics really only crop up when the speakers have established the QSO and are just having a little fun. The initial CQs are generally in standard phonetics or common replacements for them.

Some of the standards are difficult to understand at times. I've noticed that the one syllable ones seem to get missed a lot. "Golf" seems to lead to a lot of repeats. "Germany" often is clearer. "Mike" is sometimes a problem but not as often as "Golf."

15. N8UZE

N8UZE Ham Member QRZ Page

"Zed" is not a phonetic but merely the letter name for "z" in some versions of English. Along the Canadian border, it is frequently heard as it is quite common in Canada.

So using the phonetic alphabet, I'm "November 8 Uniform Zulu Echo" but when simply saying the letters, "zed" can be use instead of "zee." i.e. "en 8 you zed ee" instead of "en 8 you zee ee"

"Zed" is very frequently heard on the US side of the border here in Michigan. It actually makes it easier to understand the call sign when the phonetic alphabet is not used.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.