What Happened to MFJ's Website?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KA3TJI, Jul 2, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. KA3TJI

KA3TJI Ham Member QRZ Page

I visited it today to look for replacement parts and to my surprise I found a website that no longer lists the parts and prices for each product like the old site did. The old site was basic and simple to navigate while offering everything a customer could ever need. Now it's so disorganized and overly flashy and cluttered. MFJ, please don't take this as a knock on your effort to update your website, but this isn't an improvement and a step backwards. Please go back to the old format or make this new format more user friendly and useful.

KK4NSF likes this.
  2. WT4W

WT4W Ham Member QRZ Page

I totally agree with you, I've seen their new website and had the same thought about it.

KK4NSF likes this.
  3. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

yup! the old website was actually useful, and had the product manuals . Also it allowed deep links which means I could easily send the exact page to someone.

The new web page lists a bunch of details "coming soon", for the past year. Nothing ever gets filled in.

So much for the " modern web"!!

KK4NSF likes this.
  4. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

it does have a handy search feature, however. Unfortunately, it's buried half way down the page, in little-bitty type.

5. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

hmmm, I never got the new search feature to work correctly. I'm sure it's my fault.

just to jump on the dog pile again, the M-Squared website (m2inc.com) got as modern update, and was useless for several years It's a little better now, maybe it is better, or maybe I learned how to navigate it Still feels less useful because all the tech specs are buried in PDfs and not really available at the page.

6. K1SZO

K1SZO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It says what's happening as it pertains to parts in large letters right across the front of their website.

[​IMG]

That said, it's like they get unskilled workers to build their website. (maybe their electronics assemblers or something?)

You figure they could spend a little money and get a skilled web designer to build them a decent site. Actually, pretty much all ham radio websites are god-awful. I run a pretty large eCommerce website and even the least skilled professional web developers are way way way better than what these companies are using. Whoever builds these sites clearly are not web development professionals. It gives me major pause each time I need to order something from one of their websites. If their programming / design is that shotty. It scares the hell out of me to give them my personal information / payment details. Paypal 100% of the time when visiting these sites! You are not getting your hand on my credit card info!

W1JAC, K8PG and KF5RRF like this.
  7. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not sure what you're looking at but search is the little magnifying glass at the top.

8. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

It's built on Shopify which is a hosted service. The developers who built the front end theme and organized the products etc had no part to play in the payment processing.

I agree that the likes of PayPal or Google pay etc is usually the safest and convenient way to go on most sites but if the site has its own integrated payment page, the thing I look for is not what the site looks like but where does the payment form post to. If the action URL on the <form> tag points to the same site then it's probably not PCI compliant. It might be compliant, it's not impossible, but it's a very high bar to reach if the credit card info actually hits your own server before it goes out to the payment processor.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
    WK3B likes this.
  9. K1SZO

K1SZO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well; that's definitely better, but a custom theme can compromise the site too. Especially when you're building the form pages. I haven't used Shopify before, (we use Salesforce Commerce Cloud) but I've seem many similar ecom engines that are designed for ease with built in template engines and pre-made template choices. They are like WordPress sites with their template engines.

Still, why can't these ham radio sites hire professionals to build / design their site? I mean look at it? It's layout is awful looking.

10. KA3TJI

KA3TJI Ham Member QRZ Page

THANKS! It proves my point as I totally missed it as the unexpected clutter overwhelmed my senses. A homepage should never be a repository for everything. It should be simple, basic, and informative and direct the visitors with easily to navigate links.

K1SZO likes this.