ad: Alphaant-1

What Happened to "CQ" Etiquette?

Discussion in 'On-Air Operations - Q&A' started by W0ARM, Jan 31, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. K2CD

K2CD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

People tuning amplifiers ip my opinion are the worst culprits. I reckon that a limited range tuner, such as the one inside the 7300 would be tuning at a fairly low output level to begin with. Then if the SWR was above 3:1, I would imagine it would give up rather quickly giving you a High SWR message, or something like that. If the SWR was well within its specified range, it would probably find a match sooner. Forgive me as I never had a 7300, and I could be wrong, but I have had similar rigs with internal tuners, and that's how they played. The guy with the tube amp who tunes for maximum smoke for a whole minute or longer spinning his electric meter like a top, is a far more likely cause of QRM. Don't get me wrong, it's inconsiderate to tune up on anyone who is transmitting. There's just worse degrees of it.

W0ARM and KE8QEP like this.
  2. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You may have a point. But, and this is a mighty big but, these types of unthinking tuner-uppers have been with us for decades. Having a new super-duper radio might actually make the suffering end quicker because they do tune up fairly quickly. Unfortunately, one tuner-upper is quickly followed by yet another, and another, and another...

One thing about the newer radios is the auto-notch. I think the one in my Icom 756 PIII can notch out three carriers at the same time.

K2CD and W0ARM like this.
  3. VE6CLG

VE6CLG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Probably a little late here, but if I hear “x-ray charlie”, I’m not sure about responding. If I hear G8, I know I’m responding.

W0ARM likes this.
  4. KM4HGU

KM4HGU Ham Member QRZ Page

As to the tuner uppers, I don't know if the one who transmits a carrier for over a minute, then a second later does it again, and again, is one person or three. But it sure is annoying. My antenna was tuned when I put it up. and I tune my amp into a dummy load when I change frequencies, or bands. What annoys me most is folks working AM, getting right next to a frequency occupied by an established ssb net.

5. NX3W

NX3W Ham Member QRZ Page

This was a real surprise to me when I licensed up to get on HF: So many of the "Big stations" are run by people who.... do not say QRZ consistently (or ever.) This pops up in surprising places! Even clubs that have gotten permission to operate special event calls (i.e. 1x1's) can't seem to find enough operators that consistently say "QRZ" at the end of their QSOs.

It's gotten to the point where I can even work with a guy who just doesn't say it at all because I'll just listen for a minute, hear the pattern of his calls, and figure out when he's listening based on who he comes back to, but... If you switch back and forth between saying QRZ and not saying it, that's maddening and leaves everyone befuddled.

KK9W likes this.
  6. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Not sure if you are referring to day-to-day contacts or contesting. A contest station that keeps calling QRZ without giving his call often is highly annoying. There may be some new stations tuned to the frequency who would like to know his call if for no other reason to get logged correctly. Even outside of contests your call should accompany QRZ. Think about it you are saying "who is calling me" but not saying who you are.

VE6CLG and NX3W like this.
  7. NX3W

NX3W Ham Member QRZ Page

My dummy was cheap (so cheap I can't remember what I paid) and can handle up to 60 seconds of legal limit tuning on every frequency every radio I own can transmit on before requiring a cooldown.

So, with that said, who spends thousands and thousands of dollars on an HF setup, rig, amplifier, antenna(s), meters, feed line, and the whole nine yards but then doesn't bother to pop for a simple a/b switch and a dummy load to tune up, and instead elects to blare his shortsightedness out at 955 watts and demolish the QRP station he wanted to contact's previous QSO in the process?

8. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

Easy! A Jackass!

NX3W likes this.
  9. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

Ummmm, Tried Using A Notch Filter??