What Happened to "CQ" Etiquette?

Discussion in 'On-Air Operations - Q&A' started by W0ARM, Jan 31, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Slightly off topic but it applies to contest operating also. If you don't give your call frequently but keep saying QRZ I don't know if I worked you already. I just move on maybe we will catch up later, maybe not.

W0JKT, W0ARM and WG7X like this.
  2. W0ARM

W0ARM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hey C. MICHAEL,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I do use the DNF on the radio, for just that... it kills the hetrodyne perfectly and quickly (even multiples). It does introduce a bit of distortion if left on, but otherwise works great!

Speaking of beautiful rigs: Quite a nice station you've got too!

I'm hanging in, for sure. Love this hobby!

73's

K2CD likes this.
  3. W0ARM

W0ARM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

HiHi...
    Sarcasm (I hope!)
    THX

4. K1LKP

K1LKP Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

THE RADIO AMATEURS CODE.jpg
    K1LKP SOCIAL SMILING JUNE 2020 SMALL.jpg

73 - ES HAVE A FUN FILLED WEEK... ENJOY THE BANDS....

K2CAJ, K2CD and PU2OZT like this.
  5. WA1GXC

WA1GXC Ham Member QRZ Page

Your attention is invited to item 6:

www.dx-code.com

Endorsed by the Radio Society of Great Britain and hundreds of thousands of ethical, serious DXers all over the world independent of
    nationality, experience, mode, contact style, or purpose of the contact.

For US amateurs: DX Code of Conduct is guidelines for sportsmanlike, competent, and responsible behavior for all communications--with DX or not.

Big state QSO party last weekend. Within 15 minutes-- 3 stations on SSB, 2 on CW--You ended a contact repeatedly with no identification and you lost a
    RI multiplier. Anyone can make an occasional mistake or be a newcomer, but I don't reward bad and illegal behavior. No ID - No QSO.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    N8AFT, M7NYH, K2CD and 3 others like this.
  6. N0NC

N0NC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That's why I work CW.

73, Chuck
    N0NC

K1LKP likes this.
  7. WA1GXC

WA1GXC Ham Member QRZ Page

Me too OM, I'm with you. But sadly we think we're above it all...We ain't.

Especially during special-interest operations such as QSO parties, POTA, special-event stations, contests of all kinds, I hear nowadays
    far-too-often total non-compliance with FCC-required procedure on CW. When guys are running a frequency, I must assume that the
    internet-spotting clusters for these specialty operations are drawing in the crowds. On Sunday, heard a guy 40m CW POTA station
    fail to give his callsign even once--beginning, middle, or end of contact--over 4 completed contacts, ending each time with QRZ (no question mark).
    I just gave the dial a spin.

We could point fingers and say these folks are just adopting what they hear on Phone and adapting it to CW. Very well may be true, but doesn't
    really make anything better or fix the issue.

Education is the key. Like here, at club meetings, and fastidious compliance by us to set a good example. It's slipping away and once it's
    gone, it's gone. Just take 15 minutes on 40 SSB any weekend afternoon and then take a blood-pressure pill.

8. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sorry Martin. You were taught and learned incorrectly. Please start doing it the correct way by giving your complete call sign once. Thank you.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    N8AFT likes this.
  9. N0NC

N0NC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

"Education is the key. Like here, at club meetings, and fastidious compliance by us to set a good example. It's slipping away and once it's
    gone, it's gone. Just take 15 minutes on 40 SSB any weekend afternoon and then take a blood-pressure pill."

I agree with you but in our really small club (~25), I'm almost the only one left who even works CW. All the old timers/CW ops don't operate any more,or are SK. Most of the people in the club have no interest in learning morse, though I keep working on them, but not getting much reaction.

I guess my point was, that it easy to pickup a mic and make a fool of thierselves, a little harder on CW. That doesn't stop someone from trying though.

73, Chuck
    N0NC

W0ARM and WA1GXC like this.
  10. NN6D

NN6D Ham Member QRZ Page

Somehow I think large part of this 'problem' is contributed to by convenient, automatic and >mindless< operation of 'modern' transceivers by inexperienced operators possibly new operators with their new radio - likely an icom 7300 :)

all it takes is pressing the "tune" button

lets look at the ic 7300 manual, section 11

(copy paste - formatting irrelevant)
    Manual tuningYou can manually tune the antenna before transmitting for the first time.1. Hold down TUNER for 1 second to start manual tuning.•The tuner reduces the SWR to less than 1.5:1 after 2~3 seconds of tuning.L While tuning, “TUNE” blinks red.2. After tuning, “TUNE” is displayed.L If the tuner cannot tune, “TUNE” disappears and the tuning circuit is automatically bypassedDPTT Tuner startThe tuner is always activated when PTT is pushed after the frequency is changed (more than 1% from last-tuned frequency). This function tunes the antenna for the first transmission on a new frequency.L This function can be turned ON in the “PTT Start” item of the TUNER set screen. (p. 12-5)MENU »SET > Function > Tuner > PTT Start

If the tuner cannot tune the antenna•Repeat manual tuning several times.•Even if the tuner cannot tune the antenna on the first tuning, it may success at the second tuning.

blah blah blah

there is not a single word there about what is actually happening when you push the button
    all you need to know is that the radio magically tunes the antenna and if it doesn't "it may success [
    sic] at the second trying [sic]"

they do warn you to not touch the antenna while tuning but connecting cause and effect does require some level of cognition?

you can even set it to tune for you before you ever ask if the frequency is clear, just press the ptt !

now look at several of the 'popular youtubers' "reviews" or other videos about the 7300 look carefully, they often do it right on the video...

Of course I'm picking on the 7300, "the best radio ever" and it's not fair,
    never the less

to manually tune you have to do some contortions to get the carrier to accomplish this
    perhaps that has taught some people something?
    nah, probably not.

LOL

Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
    W0ARM likes this.