What happened to APRS?

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by AC0GV, Aug 24, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
  1. AE4CH

AE4CH Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a handheld with APRS. Setting it up to use APRS was a confusing series of steps with several menus. I also had to choose an APRS callsign for transmitting. And, I had to set up a B channel on a specific frequency to receive APRS info. Once all that was done, every APRS signal (?) received intruded on my regular communications, with audible tones and screens of information about operators I did not know. I recognized one call sign from my locale. But, further research RFM showed how to mute the APRS info. Which worked, but then I realized why do I need APRS, if I am going to mute it, to avoid it intruding on my normal operation.

I think the technology makes sense in limited applications, as many here have noted. Just not for me.

2. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

I run APRS anytime I'm in the truck. I just drove 6.5 hours from N. Alabama to Missouri through rural TN, KY and IL and very rarely found a place I didn't get digipeated. Sometimes it just takes ONE person to make the effort to put something on the air to get others to do the same because even though other wanted to do "X" they sit on the sideline waiting for someone to be first for them to believe it's worth it. I am a firm believer that activity breeds activity.

KD7LX likes this.
  3. AC0GV

AC0GV Ham Member QRZ Page

NO APRS RADIO NEEDED!
    If your radio has no APRS take a look at your smart phone and the APRS TX aps
    Some in my area are using that.

4. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

You may not need one to do APRS but without an APRS radio in the area serving as an I-gate configured to pass your info from the web to the airwaves and vice versa the radio based users via RF only will never see you and you will never see them either. That also means that you cannot communicate via APRS messages with each other as well. You will only be seen and be able to communicate with those connected directly to the web. It's still a system that requires infrastructure provided by other hams to work at its full potential.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
  5. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The trouble with APRS is that it is very dependent on a reasonable density of fixed infrastructure which is, round here at least, installed and operated by enthusiasts funded out of their own pockets. There are many places where that infrastructure has effectively disappeared... I often turn on the APRS modem in my HT - I don't remember the last time it was received by any digipeater or IGate. Check the maps and it's easy to see why - there are very few digipeaters or IGates around here! I had an FTM400 running APRS into a large colinear at a decent altitude and I was registered, but what's the point if you are a fixed station? With an HT, the range is reduced to ten miles or less and there is nowhere near enough fixed infrastructure for it to work properly.

Martin (G8FXC)

6. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This has been my take on digital communications. Things come and go. I think it's a function of the constant advances in digital-com modes. If you drop out of radio for a while due to other projects or life in general, when you return your digital mode is obsolete!

7. AC0GV

TM D700 Kenwood speed display?? I shut the speed display off years ago and can't recall how to turn it back on.
    Any help?

8. KC9ONY

KC9ONY Ham Member QRZ Page

Assuming you have a GPS connected?
    Go to Menu 3-2 and see if GPS UNIT is set to NOT USED.
    If it is, then change it to NMEA or NMEA96.

9. AC0GV

I enter the location manually to direct people to a location with the 700 so no GPS.
    TNX

10. AC0GV

The last time I had it work was 5 - 7 years ago and it could be that the function has been removed. I know one time I had it showing a campground in Indiana and then changed to a campground in Wyoming at it gave a speed of 1200 MPH. So I know it worked at one time.