What happened to APRS?

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by AC0GV, Aug 24, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. VK4GAP

VK4GAP Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm sorta with N2NEY on this aprs , story warning -

I never heard of aprs until a few months back as someone mentioned on 2m via a repeater that someone had it all set-up , so someone sent me a email with an address thingy/callsign and said check that out .

So , over the next few days/weeks sure enough i could see someone moving about on the map , going here and there and back (someones qth is around 120klm (70Mile) as the crow fly's from here .

Someone dropped in here at the qth a few weeks later as someone and someone was going right past , 1st time and we discussed and i was shown the aprs setup and how it all worked , fascinating imo , but a suspicion was developing which i'll end with .

So , on the way home someones someone was driving and we were in contact 2m fm simplex and i was checking out the map as well , then i noticed and said "if i was a stingy cop (as stereotypical normal) i have just cost you $230 for doing 10kph over the speed limit and 3 points off ya licence to boot" , the response after having a look at the speedo end was LOL yep it sure was and on the map the data showed back to 100kph straight away , suss stuff .

The much awaited end , all those satellites recently being put up and all that talk of future "monitors" fitted in your vehikkles , Mobile phones and the way it can monitor "between " cells which is already happening = automated fine dispenser LOL , all for Your Safety , i know too they be working on a Fart Tax ! , imo of course .

2. N4DJC

N4DJC Ham Member QRZ Page

If a person is concerned about exact location or speed, those settings are easily changed.

3. AC0GV

AC0GV Ham Member QRZ Page

Like everything else in life, it is good to be in control. First of all, turn off the speed display, I have had it show 120+ when driving the speed limit. I blamed it on multi path when approaching large overpasses.

Note also that you can send false data. I move to a new “location” every winter. I am thinking about every month for this winter. I switch it back to live data when I want to go public. I also shut it down a few miles before stopping for the night.

It has come back to life in my area because the local CVARC has added to the system. I enjoy the APRS system for projects like this. It is the cover sheet for my 2021 Scamping calendar. (Scamping is camping in a Scamp RV.) 00 map2.jpg

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
  4. N4DJC

@AC0GV

I didn’t know the Scamp was still made. We saw hundreds over the years of them in campgrounds, especially in the 70’s. My late father in law was a Scotty owner, we hauled that thing all over the Southeast. Great fun. He talked about the little Scotty years after he sold it.

5. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

If you’re worried about the authorities getting speed information on your vehicle, consider that all vehicles sold since 2014 in the US have event data recorders that record many parameters including speed. I would imagine other industrial countries have similar requirements.

Manufacturers want the data for their own purposes, including defense against liability claims. So it’s highly likely that any modern vehicle has one installed.

6. W0KDT

W0KDT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What problem does it solve? A solution in search of a problem usually has a short life.

WD4ELG and K7JOE like this.
  7. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

IMO, APRS was just "geeky fun" way back in the earlier days of GPS units starting to become common in cars (early 2000s)

Almost ANY "smartphone" using Google Maps, Apple Maps, etc. these days can track any other smart phone you decide to pair with - husband / wife, Mom / kids, etc. Not the whole world - just the people you WANT to know where you are in your car.

I know with me, the novelty wore off pretty quickly to a "meh" and I just sold off the APRS gear.

Dave
    W7UUU

N7ANN, WD4ELG, K7JOE and 1 other person like this.
  8. KD4UPL

KD4UPL Ham Member QRZ Page

For those of us who still live and work in and near areas with zero cell phone coverage APRS is nice to have. Am I the only one who sometimes spends 10 to 12 hours a day with no phone coverage? Maybe it's because I live so near the radio quiet zone. I think that hampers cell tower construction in eastern West Virginia.
    Besides texting my wife thru APRS I've instructed her how to find me on APRS.fi. That way, if I ever don't come home hopefully she can tell the authorities where I am.

9. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

APRS is useful during 4x4 trail outings for the same reason of leaving a “breadcrumb trail”. I’ve been pleasantly surprised with how well it can track even in the mountains. With only a few spots one could tell where and when I was traveling since there are only a few trails at most in a given area.

10. N4DJC

I enjoy tracking high altitude balloon launches. Parks on the Air might be a great opportunity for running APRS.

K7JOE likes this.