What happened to APRS?

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by AC0GV, Aug 24, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. AC0GV

AC0GV Ham Member QRZ Page

Here in west central Wisconsin there is almost no APRS activity on the aprs.fi map.

Is it because no one is traveling due to Covid19, have people disconnected the receive sites because no one is using it, are people no longer using it because the systems have been taken down?

I recently drove 400 miles one day around southwest Wisconsin and hit the APRS system ONE time from a hilltop east of La Crosse, WI. From my Wisconsin boondocking lock, the last two times I got into the system, it was into sites in Minnesota!
    I have equipment ordered to put a system on near WI29, US53, and I94, but the items are delayed do to covid19.

2. N4DJC

N4DJC Ham Member QRZ Page

Little terrestrial activity here beyond the WX and non live ops. Plenty on the ISS digipeater though.

3. KD4UPL

KD4UPL Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know what happened in WI. Here in VA APRS is pretty well in use. There have been 2 new digipeaters put up around here just this year. I use APRS messaging to contact my wife quite often when I am working without cell phone coverage. With the Yaesu FTM-400 running I see plenty of traffic coming across.

4. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Like so many other things, interest peaked then waned.

I did it for a while a few years ago but then... meh

Dave
    W7UUU

K0UO likes this.
  5. WJ4U

WJ4U Ham Member QRZ Page

6. AI7PM

AI7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

Must be location specific, or provider availability. I help install yet another one here in Wyoming last week.

7. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Probably a combination of factors.

Here's one more:

People may have decided that constantly telling the whole cyber-universe where your vehicle is, and when, and how fast it is going, may not be the smartest move.

W7UUU, KY1K, N3RYB and 1 other person like this.
  8. N3RYB

N3RYB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh and letting them know that you've probably got a bunch of radio gear too.

N2EY likes this.
  9. AF7JA

AF7JA Ham Member QRZ Page

I never got it to work. I suspect that it was due to the lack of activity, that left me unable to test and see if it was working. But then, I haven't been active in ham radio for a few years.

10. N5XMV

N5XMV Ham Member QRZ Page

I used it when it first started. I was very active in packet messaging, BBS's and so on. APRS came along, and everyone pretty much bailed. Some say it was due to the availability of the internet, I don't know. I miss the round tables, and getting mail from old friends who are/were Hams all over delivered via packet. Maybe it will once again start up, but I doubt it. I still have a setup, and from time to time, will turn it on and listen. I spend a day at a time on each of the frequencies we used to use, just in case I catch a beacon or message.
    Y'all enjoy what ever part of Ham Radio suits you best, there is something for everyone in it someplace.
    Paul N5XMV