What happened to “see you down the log”?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W3KIT, Jun 11, 2019 at 12:44 PM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: DLSpec-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

haha! I starting using RR73 very early on and remember other telling me they wouldnt log my contact b/c I didnt use RRR and then 73 :p

2. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

They are, just not all concentrated in one 2 kHz segment of the band.

FT8 is great if the goal is to write stuff in a log book/program. Counting the number of log entries doesn’t interest many people. Communicating among them does.

3. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Actually there was a problem logging at the time with that combination. Logged Grid square showed as RR73 and there was something about it breaking the sequence. That, of course, has all been resolved.

WU8Y likes this.
  4. WF4W

it only broke the sequence for those who wouldnt update their software. . .but yes it is resolved now and now rare to see an 'RRR'.

5. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

I rarely experience that with any mode. Bam Wham thank you ma’am and never see you again (plus QSL info) has been the normal for many years. That's one reason why I'm rarely interested in working a DX station.

K5UJ likes this.
  6. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Depends on the DX station. If it's somebody rare, no, he ain't gonna have a ragchew with you.

OTOH, I've had many a long ragchew with more common DX stations over the years when condx were better than they are now. I don't mean North Korea...I mean Oz or the UK or Germany or many other garden variety foreign stations. :)

7. WF4W

exactly. I regularly exchange brief pleasantries with HA8RM and F5IN when we run across each other on the bands...

8. W3MMM

W3MMM Ham Member QRZ Page

Ha! Indeed.

I was somewhat late to the FT8 party and I've found a few things - that FT8 is as strategic in certain situations (like pileups) as other modes and that conversations are triggered fairly often, via the texting window.

I'm not saying it is better...or that it is right for everyone. But it certainly isn't a let down for me, and it is "where the boys are" to quote an old song.

9. W3KIT

W3KIT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I may have worked him from my previous QTH and I am 100% positive before I have installed JTAleart. When JTAlert does not have any of his call sign in the current worked before database it will not show him as XXXXX-B4. I would never know. The point is a person can spent time changing tab to a 2nd tab, picked the premade TX Macros and spent 15 sec to send me "Worked B4" rather complete the QSO is very troublesome :D

Send free message VS actual QSO, how much time of his life he is saving? :D That is what bothered me the most. But hey, its his time - I guess. Maybe he is renting a ham station and they are charging him by a second for rent :D

I came back on the air last year around May or early June but did not have the actual log (QRZ and LOTW) until July 5, 2018. Oh, well. If he see me as W3KIT/HS0 he may change his mind and going after me instead.

10. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

If you are going to stay with FT8, suggest you use a logging software that integrates with JTAlert. It solves this problem, and enables a bunch of other features.

Like in contests: The nice and smart guys will give you the benefit of the doubt, and work you again. The smart only guys, will work you again because it's the fastest way to get rid of you.:D