What happened to “see you down the log”?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W3KIT, Jun 11, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W3MMM

W3MMM Ham Member QRZ Page

I got kudos at Field Day one year for working the most dupes - 50 or 60 as I recall, in my shift.

I was calling CQ the whole time, worked about 600 stations and if a dupe called me, I just worked them, logged them and moved on. I didn't waste any time trying to police the log. And I impressed my fellow field day operators with my ability to add so many non-scoring QSOs!

2. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

On FT8, I am not a real person you are working!! I am just a computer your computer is working

W1TRY likes this.
  3. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Computer based logging now enables us to do things that we could not do previously. The hobby is evolving.

I have had numerous SSB contacts with DX stations where the other Op gives me a recitation of how many times we have worked before and on what bands... UGH.

As far as a mode like FT8 or JT65 goes - whats the purpose of working a station multiple times? Its not like you are checking in on how his rheumatiz is or how the kids are. Its a contact mode - not a social mode. Just like working a DXpedition - you dont call them over and over and see how they are ( OK well there are a few Lids on the bands like that ).

If you are running digital modes you need to have a computer logging setup - you can set up your software to easily not take calls and flag stations worked before.

As far as the guys that insist that SSB or CW is where its at - how come the bands aren't full of your signals all day unless there is a contest? I was on 6M today - band was open - copied 30+ different calls on FT8. 5 stations on SSB - 2 that I worked on SSB yesterday. I had 2 CW contacts - the only 2 I heard. Nobody on AM or FM answered my CQ.

I heard the same baloney from local hams - oh digital this and digital that - when I ask how many SSB contacts they have
    in their log - its usually a slew of excuses why they are not on the air or they think the ' bands suck'. I have been making
    FT8 contacts on 6M, 10M, 12M, 15M, 17M and up - they are on their 2M HT checking into a CERT net once a day.

I think that the FT8 sucks crowd should get off the forums and on to their radios and actually do some operating.

WZ7U and M0IND like this.
  4. WD8T

WD8T Subscriber QRZ Page

Good swapping macros with you. 73' and see you down the RAM.

W1TRY and WF4W like this.
  5. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

FB, and the same can be said for those experienced with configuring and operating software, and assisting their fellow hams with htat.

6. W4NNF

I used to get upset at the FT8 IS KILLING HAM RADIO posts.

But then it came to me that the same thing went on with the older hams and SSB when I was a kid, and with their forbears when CW displaced spark....and ham radio is still here and will still be here in the future.

OTOH, there are plenty of hams I work all the time, over and over, on CW and SSB. Why? Because they have become friends. That's why. :)

7. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

I think you got it right there. It's not that people are rude today, and were not in the past. In many instances they did not know it was a dupe, pure and simple.

As for this behavior happening with FT8...I can see a couple of dupes, but how many does one need? FT8 is not a ragchewing mode. 'Antenna testing' is not an explanation for all cases.

There used to be a Spanish station that called me every time I was on the air, or so it seemed. I answered a number of times, but after a while I just ignored him. I did not bother sending WKDB4.

As for "What happened to “see you down the log”?", my hard disk crashed, sorry.:D

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  8. W3KIT

W3KIT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There was one time I went after one station that to my knowledge I never have him in my worked before database. I knew the station decoded me (per PSKreporter and Hamspots). Fine no problem, pileup happens. I must have tried for about 25 min. 10w – 500w, he never came back but every few min Hamspots is showing he is hearing me good and PSKreporter update every 15 min or so.

Still, I never made the contact but I did not give up.. Then he must have grew tired of me calling him. He then decided to send me a free message “work B4” instead of “work” me again. Well, I have no idea when I worked him. I may have worked him before I moved or have JTAleart installed.

So, at the end I still don’t have him in my log and I guess as long as I still have this call sign I would never work him again.

9. W4NNF

What a lid...he could take the time to type you a message, but not click on your call? Sheesh.

10. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds like he considered complete a previous attempt that you did not. This is pretty common with FT8. The 73, RRR, RR73 discussions. Remember those?

This is why I always answer to 'dupes', up to a point, as I said before.