ad: elecraft

What happened to “see you down the log”?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W3KIT, Jun 11, 2019 at 12:44 PM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: DLSpec-1
  1. W3KIT

W3KIT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I recently got back on the air last summer after 16 years off due to some life changing event. At any rate, digital mode is where I spent my time on right. 80% of mine on air time now is FT8. I also recently moved from HOA restriction to “put up anything you want” property. With previous QTH with restriction I managed to worked many stations and many bands, all good.

Now moving to the new place with some real antennas. I often got a replies “WRK B4 and or NO DUP” and these were from non-DX and DX alike busy band or not. Kind of funny, a station would spend time sending the free message like “WRK B4 and or NO DUP” but yet simply refused to make a contact worthwhile.

For the life of me I can not understand or even pretending that I understand. Some people to moved, new radios or new antennas or simply lost of logging database.

What had happened to “see you down the log” or “hope to see you again on the band”? I have worked DX station on another mode, they are happy to see you on the band and chat again. I do too.

Digital on the other hand they made it sound like I am wasting 1 min out of their lives. Contests, real busy or a big pileup I dig it but normal ordinary situation – I just don’t get it.

I guess you made up “your” rule I can only respect that.

I probably going have some flame throwing at here but I am just trying to understand. We are HAM should we keeping in touch? Of Bam Wham thank you ma’am and never see you again?

73, Kit

PS, I will work anybody anytime and any reason.

N6PAT and WU8Y like this.
  2. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

That's exactly what we would say when signed off with station back in the OLD DAYS!!

"SEVENTY THREES and WE WILL SEE YOU DOWN THE OLD LOG!"

Now a days, U get ragged for saying "73s". It has to be just "73"

K1OIK and W4IOA like this.
  3. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

welcome back. Like you I came back to the hobby after a hiatus. It's a slightly different world now where people will waste their time telling you that you've worked before instead of just completing the QSO and not re-adding you to the log.

Not everyone though. I was working DX on 40m last night and ran into a few hams i've worked before who just wanted to say 'Hello' again. . .

Even in contests I wont take the time to tell someone they are a dupe - I just log it and let the software sort it out...

AE4LH and NL7W like this.
  4. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am on the air a lot--well on CW--and I have never encountered this outside a contest. People still sign with a friendly "cu dwn the log" and other pleasantries. Naturally, if a contest is going on you ARE likely to get, "SRI, DUP, QRZ?"

;)

WD4IGX and K1TGX like this.
  5. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Most of the stuff about which people complain occurs either on SSB or FT8. With rare exceptions, CW ops aren’t even aware of these phenomenon. It begs the question -if these issues bother folks, why subject yourself to it when alternatives exist?

N2EY likes this.
  6. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

I've never received a "NO DUP", but, I have gotten many "WRK B4"s, always from a South American station.

7. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

That phrase (and others) is just a polite 'saying'. They change over time. One of the 'newer' phrases seems to be "Later Dude". I honestly don't much care what the phrase is as long as I understand it's intent. Most polite phrases like this sort of get 'condensed', which is probably normal, and perfectly okay if it's understood. Different places, different 'graces', sort of. Knock yourself out...
    See what I mean?

8. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'll be the first to admit I don't work much phone, but I was not aware of anything having changed much there of late--I know about 14313 and 7072 of course. The few phone QSOs I've had over the last couple of years have been pleasant ones, I will say.

9. K3UJ

K3UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

It's the mentality of FT8. Just want to collect a callsign. Once you have it in the log, no need to contact again.
    Switch to a mode that allows conversation (and there are digital modes that support that.) Then you can work someone multiple times.

W9RAC, N5AL, N3AB and 3 others like this.
  10. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know what happened to your ham world but in mine, nothing like that has changed. Suggest you ditch the digital stuff and operate AM or CW.

W5TTP likes this.