What happen to Japan and Asia

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by KE9HS, Feb 26, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: l-gcopper
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: abrind-2
  1. KE9HS

KE9HS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have been away from ham radio for 40 years, yes 40 years :D. Just got back last December with a new station. I have build it with a Yaesu FTdx 101D, new tuner, and a 35 foot vee antenna. Every thing works fine on all bands on Digital and SSB. Worked South America, Australia, Europe, and South Africa with no problem (also worked Reunion Island in the Indian Ocean). But the problem I have not worked a single Asia and rarely hear Alaska since I have set the rig up. I live in the center of Indiana, has any other hams around this location had the same problem? Is it the propagation during the last 3 months?. I need some feed back before I start to move my antenna around in the back yard.;) Thanks

2. N2EY

N2EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It's not you or your antenna or setup.

It's just propagation. We're at the very beginning of a new sunspot cycle.

What modes, bands, and times of day are you active?

73 es welcome back de Jim, N2EY

3. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

I worked a lot of JAs on 17M in late August.
    Then I worked a bunch of JAs on 80 in December.
    I'd expect the higher bands to improve to Japan around the spring Equinox, though, if the solar flux is the same, the fall Equinox has higher MUFs.

Typically JAs won't dupe you, which means that they won't work you again on the same band/mode even if conditions are much better a month later.

In the past six months I have a hundred LoTW QSLs with Japan.

Zak W1VT

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
  4. W0AQ

W0AQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I worked three in a row recently on 30 Meters. Fun!

5. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Lots of Asians I have even been working them long path on 40 this past winter.

6. AB8MA

AB8MA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I was going to suggest trying 40 meter FT8 at your sunrise until i read you were using a 35 foot vee antenna.

7. KE9HS

KE9HS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, I do see a lot of W7's, W6's, and some W0's working them on digital (FT8/FT4) during the night, but I have not seen W8's and W9's actively working them. I guess I need some reports around my location. I do work from 40 thru 12 meters at different times of the day, looking for Asia. It is strange :rolleyes: I have worked South Africa and Reunion Island a few times in the log book back in January, but one lonely JA has not been heard from. Yep, I will try sunrise again, I have not tried it during the last couple of weeks. I was tuning around 40 meters using SSB and CW last night, the QRN was terrible. That is one reason I like ham radio, it is so unpredictable ;), it is like fishing.
    Thanks

8. W0AQ

W0AQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I see JAs here in Maine on 30 Meters (FT8) sometimes over the winter. Not so much last couple of weeks though.

9. KQ9J

KQ9J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Starting to see JA's on 160 meter FT8 in the mornings again. Worked a bunch earlier this winter, but for a few weeks recently there were none to be found for me, in northern WI.

10. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

According to an article by Ryota Motobayashi, AC6IM, in the November 2020 QST, the number of amateur radio stations (as opposed to licensees) in Japan has dropped from 1.4 million in the mid-nineties to about 400,000 today. While there was no breakdown according to activity by wavelength, it seems likely many of those who have disappeared were active on HF and many of those who have set up new stations are only active on VHF/UHF.

I'm afraid JAs are simply not as common on the HF bands as they once were, and this trend is going to continue over time.