What got you interested in ham radio

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by K7JTO, May 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KD0EAH

KD0EAH Ham Member QRZ Page

2. KB3LAZ

KB3LAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

As a side note I will mention that at times a renewal of interest is required in this hobby, remember that. If you feel that you are getting bored or those that you are mentoring are growing tired of what they are doing try to find another aspect of the hobby that will appeal more to your or their desires.

3. G0JKZ

G0JKZ Ham Member QRZ Page

For me, back in the late 70's early 80's we had an influx of 40ch am cb sets from the states. I used to love it and it got me interested. In '81 the UK government caved in and licenced 40ch FM on completely obscure frequencies. Lots of us then had multi band multimode cb sets and after a few close calles with the Home Office I decided to go ham to enjoy radio without the risk of arrest every time I transmitted.

My eldest daughter is getting interested because she sees how much fun I have with it. My youngest says she would rather stick to playing with PC's and her graphic art work... Seeing as they are young, neither of them are forced into anything.... they are only 10 and 11 years old.

4. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

The crackle of blue sparks. The smell of ozone. The heavenly hum of an overloaded transformer. The cheery cherry glow of an 833.

These are a few of my favorite things. And what got me into radio. :)

Eric

5. KB3LAZ

You would be amazed at the software development and manipulation that can be achieved by a 15 year old hacker.

Maybe you will get lucky and be the proud parent of a licensed ham or two. If not they can always grow up and take care of you from they money they make playing on the pc.:D

6. KB3LAZ

This brings up another point. People such as yourself are a large part of the reason I developed an interest in amateur radio. I am always eager to learn and you and others are always eager to share your experience and knowledge with me and others. Thus continuing the cycle.

Thank you Eric.

7. KJ4CCH

KJ4CCH Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes you can be amazed, its not to much work at all actually.
    it just takes some time, it takes me about 2 days to complete an update for a RAT (Remote admin tool) that i am working on for THE BUSINESS SECTOR,you know the computer admins that can virtually work at home with such tools. Like monitor, have chat so you can talk or warn computer users on a network. Mine will run for about 10 USD. because its simple and straight forward.

8. G0JKZ

G0JKZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Well the eldest is on course for taking her foundation licence here in about 8-10 weeks..... That will get her on air and it may mean that I lose my setup to her....

9. KB3LAZ

Congrats and ouch lol.

10. KD0DLP

KD0DLP Ham Member QRZ Page

I became interested in Ham Radio thanks to my grandparents, both of whom have their licenses. Seeing them use their radios and listening to conversations over the air piqued my curiosity.

A few years later my mom started studying for her license (which she still hasn't gotten), and she encouraged my brothers and me to do the same. One of my older brother's and myself started studying as well, and it turned into a kind of competition between the two of us, to see who'd get their's first.

I got mine first, mostly because I'm a bookworm, but sadly, both my mom and my older brother stopped studying because they thought that the house was good with only a single Ham in it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.