ad: ARR

What else under "Start->Run"?

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by W1GUH, Jul 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. W1GUH

W1GUH Ham Member QRZ Page

I just learned about charmap over on the rag chew board.  My question is where can I find a reference to find out everything that's there.  The small number I know are highly useful, and I'd like to browse a list of 'em all.

2. DJ1YFK

DJ1YFK Guest

Via Start->Run you can access all executables that are somewhere in directories listed in the PATH environment variable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environment_variable

Most of the useful programs will reside somewhere in your Windows-Directory and should also be accessible via some other place in the Start-Menu.

You can open C:\Windows (or WINNT, or whatever it's called these days) in the Explorer, sort by file type, and you'll see all executables.

3. KG6YTZ

KG6YTZ Ham Member QRZ Page

You can "Start->Run" almost anything - any program on your computer as long as you know where it is and/or it is in a folder which is listed in the PATH= environment variable, any type of file which has a program associated with it, or any type of Internet connection with a protocol that your computer knows how to handle [http:, ftp:, telnet:, etc.].

The "charmap" thing is a program - CHARMAP.EXE - which is in your main Windows directory ["folder," in modern terminology] or a sub-directory ["sub-folder"] of it.  Odds are, it's also somewhere in your Start menus, possibly under Start | Programs | Accessories | System Tools.  At any rate, there's nothing "special" or "hidden" about charmap - it's just a little program that gets installed with Windows.

4. AB1N

AB1N Ham Member QRZ Page

Here are some of my favorites in XP, with explanations where it might be unclear. [​IMG]

calc
    cmd (command prompt)
    notepad
    wordpad
    sndvol32 (volume control)
    msconfig (see what hidden processes are starting up with your computer)
    mstsc (remote desktop terminal)

5. AK7V

AK7V Ham Member QRZ Page

try cmd
    then dir
    [​IMG]
    with clever use of "dir" and "cd," you can find all sorts of stuff to run.

6. KG6YTZ

KG6YTZ Ham Member QRZ Page

A few words of warning, though... FORMAT, FDISK, DELTREE [is that still one of the usual little bundled utils?]...

Okay, just one word. DON'T. [​IMG] Not unless you know what you're doing with 'em, anyway. Dangerous commands in the wrong hands, those three...

7. WA3KYY

WA3KYY Ham Member QRZ Page

I like:

ipconfig
    tracert
    nslookup
    regedit (dangerous if you do not know what you are doing)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.