What EchoLink AllStar Pi OS are you running?

Discussion in 'RFinderPi - Open Source radio interface based on R' started by KD7WPQ, Mar 26, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
  1. KD7WPQ

KD7WPQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm currently running the HamVoip variation on my AllStar node but needless to say their "Mailing List" as easy to maintain as it might be for them, is EXTREMELY difficult to navigate and filter through to find answers and as knowledgeable as the hams might be that handle and support that mailing list might be, they are EXTREMELY difficult to get a hold of. Maybe for just me, I don't know but I'm tired of trying to get any answers from them and seemingly getting ignored!
    So I'm looking to see what other people are running. I'm looking for a support community so when crap breaks or starts acting funny I can ask around and get answers without being IGNORED!

So does anyone have a suggestion for a distribution? What are you running and why?
    Currently I'm on AllStar and EchoLink. I've thought about tapping into IRLP. I plan to put another transceiver in at a later date to point to a repeater that's a bit far off for me so I can use my node to talk to that repeater via a hand-held.

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

All of the needed info is on this page.

https://hamvoip.org/#download

There are plenty of people that will help with your node, But not many that will hold your hand and teach you how to use Linux.

I use the hamvoip software, It is free, and I get what I paid for. It works very well. :)

What problems do you need help with ?

Good Luck.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  3. KD7WPQ

KD7WPQ Ham Member QRZ Page

My problem doesn't have anything to do with a lack of knowledge of linux. There are plenty of resources out there to help with that. Granted I'm not linux pro/guru, but I manage.

My question was what are other people running, are there other options? Because when I do have a problem I don't get a answer from their mailing list.
    Now I did once get a answer from their mailing list, after asking a couple of questions and hearing nothing back, I was quite frustrated and sent a professional "This is BS" email, then I actually heard back, though if I recall correctly still didn't get a answer to my question, instead I received a, (summarizing) Mailing list is more effective and more secure. Forums are not. So I gave up until recently when I had a problem with SuperMon not showing my new node number that I changed to, as I changed from one node number to another. Later I figured it out myself and as of yet still have not seen or heard a reply.
    To make my point and case my message was "SuperMon Stuck on Prior Node Number" sent 3/21. 5 days ago. Others have been since answered.
    See the archive...
    http://lists.hamvoip.org/pipermail/arm-allstar/2018-March/date.html

My problem with mailing lists...
    Hard to sort through
    Only answered by those receiving the message, so barely a community effort, if you can even call it that. Then again maybe I'm missing something. Wouldn't be the first time!

Now, I may be "mailing list" ignorant but if I have a answer for someone that Doug or anyone else may not have had a chance to reply to, I couldn't answer if I wanted to because I don't see the messages until they are replied to, neither does anyone else.

I'm not the only one to experience said issues.

SO, my question was, are there other options?
    If not, then that just sucks because I'd drop HAMVOIP in an instant and start my own distribution if I had the time to learn what is needed to do so or if there was another option that allows one to connect to Echolink, AllStar and maybe IRLP

4. KA9JLM

It is more like BBS.

I know there was some problems with supermon in the beginning, But I think the problems were sorted out. It works for me.

Not sure if there is any alternative for what all Doug Crompton has put into his work.

If I really have a question, I will get on Doug Crompton's node and talk to him when he is not to busy. There are other knowledgeable people connected that can help too.

It would be cool to see others start their own distribution, It would be a challenge getting up to par with Doug's work.

I want the new RPi 3 B+ to play with. :) Allstar, Echolink and IRLP would be cool running on one box.

Have Fun.

5. WB6OZD

WB6OZD Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm going down the path of picking a distro for AllStar myself right now. I came up with 3 distros that looked like they were well used. There is ASL Pi (AllStarLink) directly from AllStarLink.org, then there is the HamVOIP mentioned here and RasLink was the 3rd I found. I couldn't find any chatter/talk anywhere on RasLink, so I decided not to go that way. Also, I planned on running a few other things on the same pi, so I didn't like that HamVOIP was using a "bleeding edge" distro for their package. I just installed the ASL Pi distro from http://wiki.allstarlink.org/wiki/Main_Page . ASL Pi uses the latest Raspbian version of Debian Stretch, so I'll have no issues running the other programs I need on there. They also have some notes in the wiki on setting up the needed modules/packages on other Linux distros (e.g. you don't need a fully canned pre-made install image).

6. KA9JLM

Being able to run other things does sound nice.

But even if the Pi can do it, Does not mean you should.

People get on Allstar and start breaking up because the computer misses to many voip data packets.

Not a big deal really, Just one reason many repeaters do not want anyone linking to them.

Have Fun.

7. WB6OZD

WB6OZD Ham Member QRZ Page

Totally agree with the logic of not overloading the Pi, although the newer 3 models are a bit quicker.

The other apps I'm looking to run are for packet data / aprs and wouldn't be run at the same time as the AllStar/Asterisk software.

8. KA9JLM

If you know a bit about Linux you can add menu items to the HamVOIP image.

The main menu makes it easy to change things on the fly.

Booting the Pi3 OS off of USB is something I have not played with yet.

That sure would make things a lot easier than fiddling with micro SD cards.

Have Fun every chance you get. :)