ad: M2Ant-1

What does LOTW do for you?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KD9MPK, Jul 22, 2021.

ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. KG5UN

KG5UN Ham Member QRZ Page

Perhaps.
    I would agree that it could motivate someone to do the things you mentioned.
    So would just making contacts for the pleasure of the contact. So would just talking pride in your station and wanting to make it as efficient as possible.

WA9SVD likes this.
  2. KD9MPK

KD9MPK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I think you nailed it. From what I'm seeing in this thread anyway. LOTW seems to be popular because a) it's what folks know and trust, and b) it has become a de-facto standard. ARRL support certainly helps this.

Personally, I'm not a fan, though now that I have qrz auto-uploading my contacts to lotw, I feel like I can pretty much ignore it. It is comforting to know that it's there as a backup if I ever need it.

3. K1LKP

K1LKP Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

HI GARY,

CHECK OUT THIS PAGE......... IT MIGHT BE HELPFUL.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=HOW+DO+REMOVE+multiple+duplicate+logs+in+LoTW&qpvt=HOW+DO+REMOVE+multiple+duplicate+logs+in+LoTW&view=detail&mid=CF0338553CA5E976C243CF0338553CA5E976C243&&FORM=VRDGAR&ru=/videos/search?q=HOW+DO+REMOVE+multiple+duplicate+logs+in+LoTW&qpvt=HOW+DO+REMOVE+multiple+duplicate+logs+in+LoTW+&FORM=VDRE

COURTESY OF A QSO IS THE LOTW UPLOAD.jpg

================================ 123_QRZ_2021.gif

73 - K1LKP

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
    KD9MPK likes this.
  4. NY4Q

NY4Q Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not an award chaser, so I use it for the people I contact more than myself.

WD0BCT and KG5UN like this.
  5. K3EY

K3EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah cheating hams are the worst thing to happen to mankind. :rolleyes: I'd say that is completely, ATE UP!

LOTW is nothing but a PITA unless you want wall paper bragging rights and afraid to spend money.

6. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Perhaps the bulk LOTW QSO data could be used to investigate propagation conditions? Correlation with solar and geomagnetic etc conditions? But, LOTW QSOs are uncalibrated, don't know and can't control for many factors. So, I think WSPRnet is better for such investigations.

7. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

LoTW makes me feel warm and tingly all over. Ahem.

-It's a convenient way to rapidly confirm contacts for ARRL awards and for any other award that participates. Nothing more, nothing less.

It beats shipping shoeboxes of cards back and forth over months. And it's better than a boot to the head! :)

W5ESE and KT4PH like this.
  8. N0NC

N0NC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I belonged to e-qsl before I signed up for LOTW. Frankly I got tired of all the requests fishing for a qsl for a contact that was not in my log. I got more of those than I did verifiable contacts from my log, and yes I log all hf contacts except local nets. Also I like the part about having a secure off site backup.

If you use a logging program on your computer, it simple to upload them to LOTW, QRZ, And e-qsl.

If you always talk to the same 10 or 20 people every day, I guess you don't need to log any thing.

73, Chuck
    N0NC

W5ESE and KA0HCP like this.
  9. KT4PH

KT4PH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

hmm, that reminds me of a song!

10. N6PAT

N6PAT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Show me another one that's so widely accepted across the globe