What does LOTW do for you?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KD9MPK, Jul 22, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My printed version of my college diploma and engineering license were required by only two clients. Both were government entities. Employers obtained records directly from my college or the state. I was asked to keep diplomas and licenses in my office for the sake of clients. Not to impress myself. How many folks will be impressed with your ham awards? Do you require a printed award to be impressed with yourself?

WA9SVD and KK9W like this.
  2. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

How do you CONFIRM a contact that may have occurred days, weeks, sometimes even YEARS ago? (You DO confirm, don't you? Or do you just take the other op's word for it? If THAT's the case and common practice, I could have DXCC in a few days...:rolleyes:)

N2EY likes this.
  3. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

"Security" is often the opposite of useability and convenience, independent of intentions. That's the issue for many people.

Many honest people have tried to use LotW and failed, so have given up.

WA9SVD and KD9MPK like this.
  4. KE3FG

KE3FG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Both QRZ logbook and eQSL are as secure as LOTW unless both parties to a QSO want to cheat, and QRZ & eQSL are less cumbersome to use. Why do I bother with LOTW? I endure the hassle because LOTW is the most respected confirmation site among hams, here and abroad.

KD9MPK likes this.
  5. W5IEI

W5IEI Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I just talk to the guy.
    Good enough for me.
    Same as when I talk to someone at the grocery store.
    I don't log that either.

K2MMO, W4KYR, WA9SVD and 3 others like this.
  6. KG5UN

KG5UN Ham Member QRZ Page

I know you weren't asking me this question but I can answer it from my perspective.
    If I get a request I take the other op's word for it and confirm it. If he is willing to cheat to get a contact from Taylor County Texas, or Hancock County Mississippi so be it. Lets be honest, these awards that so many chase are useless. In the real world they really mean nothing. In the end, we all know who we worked and who we haven't. Getting a piece of paper changes or means nothing. If someone will cheat and lie just to decorate their "I Love Myself Wall" they have to live with the knowledge of what that really means.

W5IEI likes this.
  7. KC2SIZ

KC2SIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

If you're a contester (I'm not), then I can see how LOTW is a game changer. I respect that.

For me, LOTW is something that has made ham radio a lot more convenient, but a little less interesting. Lots of folks don't QSL anymore because of LOTW and also eQSL. I find that sad.

8. W5ESE

W5ESE Ham Member QRZ Page

The pursuit of the awards requires the amateurs that pursue them to learn a lot more about antennas, propagation; generally how to have a more effective shack, and be a more knowledgeable operator.

Getting DXCC or even WAS, for example, on 160 meters is quite an undertaking for most hams. Similarly for 5 Band DXCC/WAS.

9. KD9MPK

KD9MPK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

For sure it is, though certainly not the only tool out there.

10. W2NAP

W2NAP Ham Member QRZ Page

Not really, I could care less about awards and paper, and you don't need paper/awards to learn/build antennas or understand prop or have a good station.