What does LOTW do for you?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KD9MPK, Jul 22, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: QSOToday-1
  1. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I use LoTW to provide confirmations for others. I'm not interested in purchasing their awards but if my listing helps another ham I'm all for it.

KD9MPK, WG7X, W4LJ and 1 other person like this.
  2. N6PAT

N6PAT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

How about the thousands of dollars it has saved me in not having to print cards, mail cards, postage, envelopes , etc. not to mention the stolen money sent to DX stations? Is that a good reason?

KF5KWO, KD9MPK, NN3W and 4 others like this.
  3. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

Hams that cheat to get ham awards have deep rooted psychological issues that a $15 award just can't fix. It means so much to them, they need to slam their hands in a waffle iron.

W5ESE likes this.
  4. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I endured LOTW for other hams. I have no use for it, myself. In fact, I find it an incredible pain in the backside to deal with. Antiquated software and a system that was in desperate need of updating over 10 years ago.

I have been trying to get my new certificate to upload for the past month. Now the secretary in charge is on vacation. I'm pretty much just sick of dealing with it. I just have to tell other hams that want it exactly why I am no longer on it. I have lost all desire to perpetuate a crappy system, and feel the best way to rebel against it simply to give up, and tell others just why.

KK9W, KG5UN and KY1K like this.
  5. N2EY

N2EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sure.

The problem is that cheaters diminish the significance of an award.

And there are those whose values are so messed up that they defend the cheaters in various ways.

Most of all, consider that the honest person doesn't have a problem with security measures.

WA9SVD likes this.
  6. NK7Z

NK7Z XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hopfully you are not using it then...

7. KG5UN

KG5UN Ham Member QRZ Page

I dont care for the UI either, but my work around is now that it is set up I dont have to ever touch it again. I use DXKeepr to log the contacts and it immediately uploads them as I make them directly to Lotw.

AE1P, KD9MPK and N2EY like this.
  8. KQ9J

KQ9J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I used to think the same, that if you had to request an award, especially if you had to pay for it, it was not really an award. What is an award?

It is a recognition given to some individual who has met certain criteria of achievement which have been established by others in a given endeavor. Somebody has to establish the criteria, somebody has to seek nominations or review evidence of your work or performance, and then somebody has to actually determine if you deserve the award and subsequently issue the physical award.

The fact that ARRL charges for their awards does not lessen the significance of the award in my opinion. I suppose with LoTW they could automatically award someone who met the DXCC criteria, but all that takes time and money. Better to have the end recipient foot the bill, it's entirely voluntary.

When I graduated college, I was awarded a diploma. I definitely paid for that LOL. That certainly did not diminish it's significance. :)

KM4OZ, W5ESE and KS2G like this.
  9. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

See the operative word above in bold in reference to awards.

They are in reality, certifications. They certify the authenticity of an accomplishment like a college degree or training course, but by definition they are not awards.

To some it may be splitting hairs, but words matter to me more than some. Just like paper on a wall doesn't matter to me.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
    WA9SVD likes this.
  10. KQ9J

KQ9J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

From the dictionary: award (noun): a prize or other mark of recognition given in honor of an achievement.

You're hung up on the idea that you have to pay a fee to get the award and that makes it not an award but rather a certification. Fine, call it whatever you want. Point is, it is recognition (commonly described as an award) that deserving amateurs can obtain for paying a nominal processing fee. LoTW makes that pretty simple in the end. :)