What does LOTW do for you?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KD9MPK, Jul 22, 2021.

ad: l-rl
  1. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

It keeps tracks of user paid certificates of achievement, not awards, that I will never purchase.

WD0BCT, KB9BVN and KD9MPK like this.
  2. KD9MPK

KD9MPK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you for your reply, and the information.

One of my original thoughts on LOTW was why bother when there are easier tools (qrz.com for example)? Your comments here though highlight one element that I had not considered, namely reliability. As an arrl tool, lotw is not likely going away and can be counted on to be supported for many years. There is certainly value to that.

N2EY likes this.
  3. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I would use LOTW if it were not for the difficulty that we non-US stations have in getting registered. I would not pay for an award, but there are others that do want them and the QSO does not count unless both ends log it.

Martin G8FXC

KD9MPK likes this.
  4. K8PG

K8PG QRZ Lifetime Member #333 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Makes me a Happy Camper.
    K8PG Paul

5. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

At a minimum, very reliable and free cloud storage of your logs.

WG7X likes this.
  6. KE4ET

KE4ET XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What you should have done is requested a second cert based off the old one, rather than a completely new cert. I have two laptops and I can use either one, and they are not even running the same versions of tQSL. I I think there is a FAQ on that somewhere. Better to go off that. 73 Gerald KE4ET

KD9MPK likes this.
  7. NE3R

NE3R Ham Member QRZ Page

This has always wowed me about LotW - having worked on banking backend systems, there is more verification and authentication than million dollar transfers.

8. KA8NCR

KA8NCR Ham Member QRZ Page

It is at least as secure as your email, which is on par with a lot of banks unfortunately.

9. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Simple...

It allows me to get confirmations of contacts for awards like DXCC--or whatever--without messing with the old "BURO" or the cotton-picking GREEN STAMPS. That's what. ;)

But what are you mainly missing? Despite its name, LOTW was never meant to be your logbook. It should really have been called "Confirmations of the World," but I guess that is not as snappy. What you do with it is use it with a logbook like Ham Radio Deluxe or N3FJP. Oh, I suppose you could try to use it as a log, but I don't think that would be much fun.

10. KG5UN

KG5UN Ham Member QRZ Page

Like you I never kept a log, until my operating interests changed to areas where the operators I was contacting were really interested in confirmations. Those areas are weak signal VHF/UHF and satellites. While I am not interested in the QSL's or any other type of confirmations many of the ops I worked really were so I use it now just to make those guys happy. It is an easy way to do it.

Ed
    KG5UN
    EM50