What does LOTW do for you?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KD9MPK, Jul 22, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. K2CD

K2CD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, this. I used to direct QSL every new entity, on every new band, on every new mode. I am almost afraid to know the total amount I spent doing this. Certainly over five grand. Could even be more. LoTW is the way to go.

KF5KWO, W5ESE and KD9MPK like this.
  2. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

To answer the op.....if confirmations of QSOs mean nothing to you than LOTW does nothing for you other than helping you to keep an archaic practice of logging and confirming QSOs alive for those who care. It is an archaic practice ever since the FCC abolished logging.
    I was very rudely reminded of this fact while attempting to confirm my first QSO upon my return to ham radio. It’s a different world. I’ve learned to live with it.
    Confirming QSOs means nothing to me but I’ll use LOTW for the benefit of others.

KD1JT and KD9MPK like this.
  3. W5IEI

W5IEI Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Nothing
    I NEVER log QSO's.
    Why does anyone ?

K2MMO, W4KYR and KD9MPK like this.
  4. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Poor memory? I primarily keep a logbook to remind me of some details of the people I talk to - always embarrassing when you call someone and they reply "Oh, hi, Martin how are you today?" while you are sitting there wondering who the hell they are! I don't log every QSO, but I do make entries if either the QSO will contribute to an award, or if I have a proper chat with someone in which case I will make a few notes about them and what we talked about in the comments field of the log.

That is, of course, predicated on the fact that I use a PC based log book within a fully integrated PC based shack. The PC is in control of the radio including frequency, mode and power output. To make a log entry, I only have to key in the remote station's callsign and hit the enter key - the software fills in all the other details... When I used a paper log, I was a lot less rigorous about it!

Martin (G8FXC)

W4LJ, KD9MPK and N2EY like this.
  5. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Jim, as you often do, you took the words right out of my mouth.

I will only add that there are many of us that have decades invested in chasing ARRL and CQ awards and adding to totals in the more involved awards like 5 to 9 band DXCC and DXCC Challenge. Such activity is a big part of the enjoyment of ham radio for many of us. We are not about to shift gears and abandoned adding to an almost completed 5 band DXCC, or Honor Roll, etc. Further, the ARRL WAS Triple Play aware is an LoTW only award. LoTW is a huge time and money saver and I have never had a problem installing and/or renewing the certificates or adding a temporary location to an existing certificate.

N2EY and KD9MPK like this.
  6. K4PIH

K4PIH Ham Member QRZ Page

It does several things for me:

Zilch
    Nada
    Nill
    nutin
    zero

K3EY, K2MMO, KM1NDY and 4 others like this.
  7. KQ9J

KQ9J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I only seriously started chasing DX about ten years ago. I get a paper QSL from each new entity, my wall is full of them and I enjoy looking at them. I then set a goal for myself of DXCC on each band. I need 20-25 more confirmations on 160 and 12 meters to have 9 band DXCC. After the initial contact with an entity which I obtain a paper card from, I use LoTW to confirm the additional bands. I would have no room for all the cards necessary to do this.

When I am room temperature, someone will likely put them in a box for a while then out in the recycling they will go. It's purely for my own enjoyment. LoTW is very useful I think. :)

K8BZ, N2EY and KD9MPK like this.
  8. KD9MPK

KD9MPK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm still a pretty new HAM, but this is what I'm finding that seems to work best. Just got WSJT-X running and for the first week or so, I was manually uploading adif files to qrz until I finally discovered the settings in the tool to automatically update qrz and lotw. Now to go back through some of the other tools I have and look for similar settings.

9. KD9MPK

Maybe it's because I'm still so green at all of this, but I do appreciate the confirmations, so thank you! For me, who's doing some DX but not really chasing awards, I think this will be the biggest reason that I'll go through the hassle of getting it configured, at least for those tools that will auto-upload to it.

10. KD9MPK

This is perhaps the most accurate description I've heard of lotw. The user interface backs this up as well. Just looking at the way you run queries against it is very reminiscent of old database toolsets.

N2EY likes this.