ad: elecraft

What does LOTW do for you?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KD9MPK, Jul 22, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't really care if others cheat on other logs, LOTW is just a PITA to me personally... and I am a computer guy. Anyone that cheat only cheats themselves out of the achievement; they don't cheat me so I don't see why some get all tied up about award cheating for a paper on a wall. If I really didn't earn it, its not worth the paper it is printed on...

Guess I must still be a Luddite as I was using EQSL way back when the ARRL said electronic QSLs will never be allowed; remember those days anyone???

https://www.eqsl.cc/QSLCard/Home5G.cfm

Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
    N6HCM likes this.
  2. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

How do you know this?

3. N2EY

N2EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree that it's a bit of effort to set up, but even I was able to get it working by following the step by step instructions.

No, I don't remember them.

Cheating may not bother you, but for many amateurs it's a real issue.

One of the challenges faced by the designers of LOTW was that it had to be as secure, if not more so, than paper cards. The reasoning was that if it were less secure, people would say those who used LOTW to earn awards hadn't really earned them - they didn't have a "real" DXCC, WAS, etc.

So they made it more secure than paper cards.

It works for me. Saved me a ton of time, money and effort, too.

W5ESE and AA8IA like this.
  4. K8XG

Cheating only harms those that do it, the AARL was opposed to it for two decades while internet QSL was done other places... FYI I am an ARRL member simply so to can tell them what they do wrong. I believe those that say the ARRL does wrong and not a member have no voice, and why I am a member to give them my voice...

It still is a PITA and I wont buy into it, even as I am already verified with their stupid process...others did it 20 years ago...sayin'

And I have a large stack of real paper QSL cards I sent out and got back then as well...

5. K8XG

Explain how it "really" harms you... It really harms the cheater as she/he know they cheated and it's not real when the show it to someone. How does that cheating piece of paper on their wall bother you in real life??? Please explain ...

6. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

LOTW has been made more secure than other on line logging and awards systems mostly because of some bad actors in ancient times who gamed the system. Not LOTW but the DX Century Club. I read up on this a long time ago, and I don't remember all the "bad boys" but they were real. This is probably the main reason the ARRL awards now are heavily scrutinized. LOTW is just an offshoot of the original DXCC log and card checking system, nothing more.

I use it because the one thing I refused to do was ham radio paperwork. I do ham radio to relax and enjoy the folks I talk to, not to collect cards, fill out forms, ship cards coast to coast, and then pay big bucks for the privilege of hanging a certificate on the wall. LOTW allows me and you to collect confirmations electronically and apply for awards with a heck of a lot less hassle, and that's a good thing.

LOTW also provides a relatively safe place to store copies of your electronic log info in case a computer dies... Which has happened to me at least three times! Get a new PC, and download the log and I'm back in business! That's also why I upload religiously these days: won't lose a lot of data at any given time. I also keep the log info updated on at least two computers at the same time.

W5ESE, N3RYB and N2EY like this.
  7. WW2E

WW2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Just a side note:

The Luddites are constantly misrepresented today as anti-technology extremists. They weren't. As a family member here recently wrote: Their chief complaint was not new technology, but the upsurge in materialism -- and its attending moral decay -- brought about by the industrial revolution.

KP4SX likes this.
  8. N2EY

N2EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Wasn't it the fact that the Industrial Revolution was destroying their jobs?

9. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

Same argument made with respect to stolen valor, faked uniform ranks, purchased combat ribbons and commendations, etc. It debases the program and the efforts of those who achieved the goals and met the qualifications for an award.

K5MUG, W5ESE and N2EY like this.
  10. WF4W

WF4W Ham Member QRZ Page

LOTW is great - it brings awards and achievements to those who might not otherwise be able to accomplish it through traditional QSLs.

Here's an example:

I was licensed at the age of 12 and I loved DX. I worked A LOT of DX and aspired to earning the DXCC (it seemed to be a bigger deal in 1988)

Anyway, my biggest hurdle was the QSL - I had cards but international postage & return postage was too much and, frankly, my parents didnt see the value. So although I worked 120 DXCC entities, I could never achieve the "award" - I assume that there are MANY these days that are in the same boat and even though ClubLog OQRS makes it easier to get a physical QSL, it's still pricey.

W5ESE, N3RYB, UT7UX and 2 others like this.