What does LOTW do for you?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KD9MPK, Jul 22, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. K4PIH

K4PIH Ham Member QRZ Page

Exactly the reason I'm not.

N3AWS likes this.
  2. G0OIL

G0OIL Ham Member QRZ Page

The UI isn't the best in the world, but it's certainly not the worst. Have you ever used SAP? That *SUCKS*.
    The signup procedure is rather fiddly and getting/synchronising certificates is messy, but the ARRL seem to turn around new certificate requests quickly enough.

But overall, LOTW saves me LOADS of time, money and hassle. It works for me.

W5ESE and N2EY like this.
  3. WA1UIL

WA1UIL Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't log contacts so need to use it. I still sleep well knowing I'm still a 5-9 no matter what the conditions are.

4. UT7UX

UT7UX Ham Member QRZ Page

In my country an operator HAS to log every QSO except done when mobile or handportable.

5. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

I got same day service on a new LoTW certificate. The surplus computer I was using died so I moved the SSD to another computer to recover all my data files.
    The easiest way to restore LoTW uploads was to just get a new certificate with the "new" computer I used for LoTW uploads.

Zak W1VT

K0UO, W5ESE and N2EY like this.
  6. N2EY

N2EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

???

I use N1MM+ for all contests.

At the end of each contest, I have N1MM+ generate a Cabrillo log. The Cabrillo file is uploaded to the contest organizer as directed in the contest rules, and also to LOTW using TQSL.

Then the file is opened using Wordpad and I print a paper version that goes into a 3 ring binder with paper logs.

Easy and fast.

73 de Jim, N2EY

K8BZ likes this.
  7. N3AWS

N3AWS Ham Member QRZ Page

Ask not what LoTW does for you
    Ask what you can do for LoTW

8. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I did that for years after I went computer logging (starting with a C64). But almost a decade ago I asked myself "why?" Flash drives, the cloud, automatic backups on the PC from my logging program, and LOTW itself made that no longer necessary. Did save me from a busted 5 1/4- inch floppy a time or two, but that was a long, long time ago. :)

W5ESE likes this.
  9. N2EY

N2EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I do it because I've kept paper logs since the day my Novice license arrived in 1967.

And because I've seen every form of digital storage go bad for no apparent reason. Floppies, hard drives, flash drives, CDs, DVDs, etc.

Plus it's cheap to do.

N3AWS likes this.
  10. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Many of my logs were disposed of by my ex-XYL. I do treature the old logs I still have...but continuing to print out pages from the computer I'll never look at? No more. It's far quicker and easier to search out a QSO in the log with the computer. And if everything went south--hard drive, flash drive, cloud, LOTW--I suspect we'd have far more pressing problems than, "Didn't I check into the Lumbago Net on 75 regularly back in the 80s?" :D

W5ESE, N2EY and N3AWS like this.