ad: w5yi

What does LOTW do for you?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KD9MPK, Jul 22, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

A log file in Cabrillo format implies that it was from a contest operation. If you use any of the popular contest logging programs you not only can export a Cabrillo file for your contest log entry, you can also export an ADIF file as well.

I contest a lot, and this is what I do. I export a Cabrillo file and an ADIF file. The Cabrillo file is sent in for my contest entry, and the ADIF file is then imported in to my N3FJP log file and N3FJP can upload that to LoTW. That way all of my contacts are in one file. Not only is it easy to upload to LoTW that way, it greatly simplifies responding to QSL requests. I don't have to hunt down the contact that needs confirmed in a dozen individual contest logs.

WG7X, WZ7U and KP4SX like this.
  2. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Exactly! Some people just hate to read and follow directions. It would be fun to watch someone who couldn't handle LoTW, assemble a Heathkit SB-104. If the tube fits the socket, it must be where it belongs.

WG7X likes this.
  3. N6PAT

N6PAT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

So don't use LOTW.

The post office thanks you for spending all the money on postage.

The card printers thank you for spending all the money to have cards printed.

The overseas postal workers thank you for all that nice cash of yours that they steal.

The dishonest DX ops thank you for all the $$$ you send them while they never send back a QSL card.

So don't use LOTW.

4. K3EY

K3EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah we all know you love LOTW hate the FT450D and you're computer/radio is better than anything anyone else is using:p

5. N9CQC

N9CQC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I use LOTW in conjunction with HRDs log program. A couple of clicks to update and a couple to download. Very easy and works great. I will admit that the initial enrollment in LOTW could be made simpler but after getting past that it's been a dream to use.

6. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

I hadn't considered much of that, because I'm new to computer logging I figured I could just hand generate a Cabrillo file for the whole shebang, convert it and upload. Clearly I'm naive and perhaps you've just saved me countless hours trying something like this. I'll look into the N3FJP software because my time is worth something.

K8BZ likes this.
  7. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Cabrillo files are specific to certain contests. Different exchanges and reports, etc. Can't be used for routine logging.

W1BR and W5ESE like this.
  8. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

I log at eQSL and LOTW virtually every contact....every now and then I have a memorable contact and I send them a card in the US Mail.

W5ESE likes this.
  9. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

I've never (knowingly) logged on eQSL, but certainly answer all in the log that ask there.

10. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Yup, I see that now. 7QP clouded my experience logging, I should've realized.