What does LOTW do for you?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KD9MPK, Jul 22, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
  1. KD9MPK

KD9MPK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Honest question - seriously, I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I have heard many people rave about logbook of the world, and I just don't get it.... The UI is, at best, un-intuitive. I am finding it very difficult to understand what this log provider provides that is actually useful.

Please see this as less of a rant against LOTW, and more of an honest desire to understand.

What am I missing here?

K2TY and K1OIK like this.
  2. KE4ET

KE4ET XML Subscriber QRZ Page

LoTW handles having many sites much better than QRZ. I operate portable and no longer even bother trying to get QRZ to be correct. LoTW it is not a problem at all, and all the sites are the same "me". Just different places.

KD9MPK likes this.
  3. KD9MPK

KD9MPK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That's interesting, because when I tried to add a second notebook I had to request a new certificate, which invalidated my old one.

K1OIK likes this.
  4. KS2G

KS2G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Therein lies what you "don't get".
    It's name not withstanding Logbook of the World (LoTW) is not a log.
    It's just a database of QSO information intended for the sole purpose of confirming contacts to qualify for ARRL and a few select other awards.
    It's designed to basically do only two things --- let you look at the QSO's you've uploaded, and see which of them match QSO's that others have uploaded to provide credits towards the awards.
    And while the user interface may not be slick, it's perfectly sufficient to perform those functions.
    ;)

AJ6LB, N4DJT, K5TCJ and 8 others like this.
  5. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Log Comparator of The World would be more accurate, but not nearly as sexy a name, hence LoTW.

N1VAU, WA9SVD and KD9MPK like this.
  6. N2EY

N2EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

LOTW does two things:

1) It provides a FREE, searchable, offsite backup of your logged QSOs.

2) It provides confirmations that are just as useful for ARRL and some other awards as paper cards - for FREE.

The reason it appears complicated is because it is set up to handle multiple sites and callsigns and a whole bunch of detailed info for a wide variety of awards. And it's VERY secure.

Some might ask why all the fuss about the security. Sadly, down through the years, there have been cases where hams have cheated to get awards and even licenses.

VK6APZ, WX7P, N2SR and 4 others like this.
  7. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

For those of us that chase certain awards (WPX, WAS, DXCC, FFMA, LoTW is great for tracking those awards and getting confirmations towards those awards without having the costly expenses of having to mail all the cards.

N4DJT, W1EL, KF5KWO and 4 others like this.
  8. K5ABB

K5ABB Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep, saves me a LOT on postage, and usually I don't want the card, just the confirmation for DXCC purposes. I upload TO LOTW, instead of mailing QSL cards all over the world... FROM my actual logging program. DX'ers and awards focused people are the target users.

W5ESE, KD9MPK, N2EY and 1 other person like this.
  9. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

Gives me heart burn and sometimes palpitations.

K2TY, UT7UX, W4KYR and 3 others like this.
  10. N4KZ

N4KZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've been a LoTW user since its beta testing days. Early on, about 11 percent of my QSOs were confirmed with LoTW. Now, it's up to 45 percent. In my 52 years on the air, I have accumulated thousands and thousands of QSL cards. I'm running out of places to put the new ones. So I encourage people as much as possible to get a confirmation from me via LoTW. I have worked and confirmed a ton of DX entities. 349 to be exact. LoTW has saved me significant time and money in confirming some of those entities in recent years. I have used those confirmations to achieve DXCC Honor Roll, 8 Band DXCC and 5 Band Worked All Zones. So LoTW is a tremendous tool for DXers. But that's not all. I decided a few years back to get WAS on each of the 10 bands from 160 up to 6 meters. I finally finished that goal with 499 of the needed 500 confirmations via LoTW. Talk about a time and money saver! And last but not least, I took a lightning strike four years ago. It demolished my shack computer and with it my electronic log I started back in 2000. I had most of it backed up but not all. But I simply went to LoTW where I did a total download and within a couple hours had my complete log back on my new computer. In other words, LoTW kept my log in the cloud and made it simple to recover. Sorry if I sound like I'm bragging. That was my not aim. I just wanted to show you how useful this ARRL service has been to me. And BTW, all of those DX entities were worked on SSB and CW years before FT8 was invented. I do operate FT8. I mention this because the other day a fellow without a call sign chose to heckle me on the air over me operating FT8 and he accused me to wanting to work DX the easy way. Once I told him I hadn't worked a single entity on FT8 that I hadn't worked years ago on SSB and CW, his heckling went away. Imagine that. Once he knew the facts, he had nothing else to say. 73, N4KZ

N0NC, W9FL, KD9MPK and 2 others like this.